Sign in to follow this  
Spencerlynn

WA state Collections Recent Disciplinary Action 4/26

I hope it is OK to post this information. The CA suing me is on this list and I am about to file against them as well. If not OK to post this, please Admin delete. Thank You!!

Disciplinary actions: Collection agencies

For details about many of these disciplinary actions, please see Search business and professional licenses.

January 2013 Resort Recovery Solutions, LLC (UBI #6024503710010002) — San Diego, CA
  • Finding: Failed to cooperate with an investigation.
  • Action: Fined $1,000.
December 2012 Westwood Asset Management — Buffalo, NY
  • Finding: Unlicensed collection activity.
  • Action: Ordered to cease and desist collection activities until properly licensed.
November 2012 Liquidebt Systems, Inc — Warrenville, IL
  • Finding: Unlicensed.
  • Action: Ordered to cease and desist collection activities until licensed.
National Check Resolution Inc. — Lawrenceville, GA
Revenue Reporting Service — Orchard Park, NY
October 2012 Progressive Services Company (UBI #602-373-488-001-0001) — Lynnwood
  • Finding: Failed to maintain a business office open to the public with license displayed and records available.
  • Action: Fined $1,000.
August 2012 M. Callaghan & Associates, LLC — Getzville, NY
  • Finding: Unlicensed activity.
Williams Scott & Associates — Atlanta, GA
  • Finding: Unlicensed activity.
July 2012 C.C.S. Recoveries, LLC, and Worldwide Recoveries, LLC — Santa Ana, CA
  • Finding: Unlicensed collection activity.
  • Action: Ordered to cease and desist collection activities until properly licensed, and fined $1,000.
June 2012 Jomax LLC, dba Jomax Recovery Services (UBI #602-876-327) — Glendale, AZ
  • Finding: Failed to maintain required surety bond.
  • Action: License revoked.
May 2012 Fidelity Information Corporation (UBI #602-287-573) — Los Angeles, CA
  • Finding: Failed to maintain a security bond.
NIKKO Management Group, Inc. — Williamsville, NY
  • Action: Ordered to cease and desist collection activities, and fined $1,000.
Portfolio Recovery Group LLC (UBI #603-093-086) — Grand Island, NY
United Portfolio — Roseville, MN
Past disciplinary actions

If you’re interested in earlier collection agency disciplinary actions, please contact us atCollect@dol.wa.gov.

• Like 1

But no specific disciplinary actions with them in Washington.  

@Spencerlynn

Portfolio Recovery Group may not be the same company.   Call the WA Licensing Board to see if PRA is required to be licensed in your state in order to collect from you.  If they are required to be licensed, find out if they have a license.

BV 80, I have already contacted our state DOL and they have verified that PRA is not currently licensed in my state, BUT have applied. DOL is sending me an affidavit as of today stating such. PRA filed their lawsuit against me Jan 30, 21013 and I wasn't served until April 20, 2013.So on their Summons & Complaint they did in fact lie and state that they were duly licensed in my state to conduct business.

Also to the best of my knowledge Portfolio Recovery group and PRA are one in the same.

@Spencerlynn - sounds like you have them on a violation, but the judge may allow them to continue based on the fact that they applied now.  Similar to if you are caught without auto insurance in Arizona, as long as you have insurance by court date, the judge will dismiss.  

BV 80, I have already contacted our state DOL and they have verified that PRA is not currently licensed in my state, BUT have applied. DOL is sending me an affidavit as of today stating such. PRA filed their lawsuit against me Jan 30, 21013 and I wasn't served until April 20, 2013.So on their Summons & Complaint they did in fact lie and state that they were duly licensed in my state to conduct business.

Also to the best of my knowledge Portfolio Recovery group and PRA are one in the same.

@Spencerlynn

Sorry.  I saw where you said in an earlier post that PRA had applied for a license. 

Regarding Portfolio Recovery Group, PRA recently filed a trademark infringement suit against Portfolio Recovery Group.  I could be wrong but I don't think that would happen if they were the same company or if one was the subsidiary of the other.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/virginia/vaedce/2:2012cv00649/288940/

In any case, PRA isn't licensed.  In Snyder v. Gorden, the U.S. District Court (Seattle) ruled that an unlicensed collection agency that took action it was not legally able to take was in violation of 1692e(5) of the FDCPA.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=14180201300978300752&q=%22Fair+Debt+Collection+Practices%22+AND+unlicensed&hl=en&as_sdt=4,48,114,129,373,374

Portfolio recovery group file a trademark suit against Par 3 holdings group back in Nov of 2012.