Need Advice on Canceling Contract.

I need expert advice on canceling a contract. I gave in and went to see a lawyer about helping me with filing a lawsuit. WE talked on Monday 22 April, 2013. The lawyer assured me everything was OK and it was a go, and to come back Friday on the 26 April, 2013 and he will have a contract drawn up. I agreed to pay him six hundred dollars that Friday. Friday morning came, we signed the contract and I passed the money to the lawyer. We talked again about the lawsuit and things started to change. The lawyer stated that the lawsuit would have to wait several months. I jumped up at that moment and shouted, "I want to cancel my contract and I want my money back".

Well, I left that morning without a cancelled contract and no money. My QUESTION IS: WHAT RECOURSE AND ACTION CAN I TAKE. This is a Georgia lawyer.

What reason did he give for telling you the lawsuit had to wait several months? Your attorney has a duty to diligently prosecute your claim. If he says he cannot, perhaps he has a good reason?

I feel like it was a flimflam. He quoted me a Price of $600.00 dollars last Monday the 22 April, 2013. On Friday after I signed His contract and passed him $600.00 in CASH things started to change. After I found out that what the attorney promised on Monday could not be done, he started trying to talk me into a $2,000.00 contract.

I just thought some of the Bloggers and experienced staff members would have some legal FTC "3 day cooling off period" advice for Georgia lackys that get taking in by "THE GOOD OLDE BOYS".

Thank You

With the limited information you have provided, very hard to give you direction.  I would say a couple of things. 

While you may feel short changed, consider the attorney.  He took time to hear about your case and decides that he is able to represent you.  You come back in 4 days, review the attorney/client agreement, hand over $600 bucks.  Then you learn about the time line and by your admission "You jump up and tell him you want to cancel the contract!"

Frankly I am suprised he didn't give you $500 bucks and toss you our of his office.

Given that in the attorney/client agreements I have signed they all included the provisions on how to end the agreement.

Have you checked to see what your contract says?

I am not familiar with Georgia Bar Law, but I can tell you getting those dollars back can be very difficult or at a minimum costly in time.

Finally, remember when hiring an attorney once you sign a attorney/client agreement not only are you contracting with the attorney for services, but he is stuck with you the client.  I know for me it took a bit of time to balance the amount of communication I wanted regarding my cases, against the amount of time my attorney was willing or able to offer, based on his case load.

What I am trying to say is $600 or $2000 dollars should not be considered instant accesses with weekly 30 minute updates with the attorney on your case.

Best of Luck to the poster, but a look in the mirror would be where I would start and see if I could salvage the agreement and get my case handled.

Frankly I am suprised he didn't give you $500 bucks and toss you our of his office.

Wouldn't it be a better world if that had happened?

But no, this action just makes me run from the Legal Field. I am sure there must be some honest people working in the Legal Field. This was just a bad experience for me. For your information the attorney solicited me.

Thank you for your input.

Wouldn't it be a better world if that had happened?

But no, this action just makes me run from the Legal Field. I am sure there must be some honest people working in the Legal Field. This was just a bad experience for me. For your information the attorney solicited me.

Thank you for your input.

@RD23 you've still never given any indication whether you were told why the circumstances changed. Now, you've mentioned the attorney solicited you, which is an ethics violation. What is really going on here?

@RD23 you've still never given any indication whether you were told why the circumstances changed. Now, you've mentioned the attorney solicited you, which is an ethics violation. What is really going on here?

"This was about a property line violation." House, next to my property was foreclosed last September. I surveyed property and installed a fence one foot off of my property line.

This morning the attorney emailed me and apologized for the misunderstanding and said," He was returning my money". I emailed him back, Thanked him, and stated in my email to keep $150.00 for his time last week. Thanks for all of the input from everyone. A lot of time one's emotions overrules their good intentions from both sides.

"This was about a property line violation." House, next to my property was foreclosed last September. I surveyed property and installed a fence one foot off of my property line.

This morning the attorney emailed me and apologized for the misunderstanding and said," He was returning my money". I emailed him back, Thanked him, and stated in my email to keep $150.00 for his time last week. Thanks for all of the input from everyone. A lot of time one's emotions overrules their good intentions from both sides.

I installed "FENCE" one foot inside the line on MY property. Wanted to make sure everyone understood.