Have you ever heard of these guys?

Texas Grandma

I have been getting blocked calls for awhile now. I just ignore them because I don't answer blocked calls. They never leave a voicemail. Last week my husband calls me and tells me that he received a call from someone looking for me. They told him that they needed to give me some legal papers that I had to sign for. He took down the number and I called them back.

The man I spoke to said he was with legal services with Mulder and Associates. He proceded to tell me that he was sending someone to my house to serve me with legal papers, but I could stop the process. I asked him what this was in regards to. He said that it was over a credit card debt. He told me that his client was about to process litigation against me but that I could stop the process if I would give him a payment toward the debt. He said that would show his client that I was trying to make good on the debt and that he could get them to move it from litigation to collections again. Of course, to make that payment I would have to give him my information to do a draft from my account.

I told him that I did not know what he was talking about and that if I was going to pay anything I would have to have validation of the debt. He informed me that he did not have that information and that I would have to contact his client. He tried to give me the number and I told him I was not in the position to take the number at that time. He said that I needed to pay him or they were going to serve me legal papers. I ended the conversation by letting him know I was not paying him anything.

A few days later I get another blocked call but this time they did leave a message. I am assuming because now they have actually talked to me. This message says "I am so n so from legal services with Mulder and Associates. This message is intended for (me) with the social ending in XXXX. I am calling because we had a failed attempt to deliver some papers to your address at 123 elm in my town and state. We would like for you or your attorney to call us at 626-XXX-XXXX. We need you to do this asap so that we can schedule an appointment to have your documentations delivered to you. Please call asap so that I am not forced to have these papers served to you at work. Good luck."

I googled the number and I have found that it is a land line but the owner has the number hidden. I have looked up Mulder and Associates and cannot find anything. I did find other people having the same people call them, almost saying the same thing word for word. I have yet to find if they are just a collection agency or what, let alone if they have actually even served anyone.

Has anyone else had a call from these guys? Has anyone else heard of them? I have a feeling they are just trying to scam me into paying something. I don't want these guys showing up at my work, but I get the feeling they are not really going to serve me. Thoughts?

What possible debt could this alleged law firm be collecting on? And is it in or out of statute? I ask because I have an out of statute debt that an unknown, lowest of the low CA has been calling on with blocked numbers over the last year called WRA. The best I can find is a firm out of NY called Western Recovery Associates however the calls are originating from California using VoIP lines. They call making you think that you will sue so that you will pay the 50% settlement they are going to offer you over the phone.

If you searched the law firm and it doesn't exist, this is probably what is happening. I called WRA two days ago and recorded the whole conversation. I played dumb and the CA violated 1.5 million times. "I don't usually do this, but I'm going to tell you the whole social" and yes we are suing you and you have a court date on May ***long pause*** May 9th. I was looking at the clerk of courts site while she said this. Nothing. Hilarity. I asked what WRA stood for and she made up a law firm, "Weinstein, Reynolds and Associates" but she butchered Weinstein pronouncing it three different ways.

I'm trying to get them to send me something so I can nail down who they are and pursue from there.

Guest usctrojanalum

can you find their address or anything? if they call again i'd ask for address. and tell them that please serve me the papers i'd like to contest this action in court and have the case decided on the merits. no payments will be made.

When I spoke to him I told him that I would have to have something showing what this debt was, who it was from, what the amount he was asking for consisted of, etc. His response was he did not have my bank statements that would show all that. The client is the one that I needed to talk to for that. But of course he advised that I needed to make a payment with him so that it would not go to litigation.

As far as I can see, they are violating nine way to Sunday and they don't care. They want my money and I am not going to part with it.

It has not been my experience to be called and warned that I am going to be sued. I cannot imagine how many people they get like this.

I was wondering if anyone on this board had heard of this particular "legal services". I noted that they never directly said they were a law firm or that they were actually giving me a summons. They just said that they were with leagal services and they were trying to give me legal documentations. That is what he said. Documentations, not documents. Lol, Whatever.

I did find someone that said they had an address for them. It does not have a suit number and I think it should because when I google the address it says that there are several businesses with that address. I am guessing it is in a strip mall or something.

Someone on another site said that when they asked for the address the caller got defensive and hung up on them. My guess is that they know what they are doing is not legal and they don't want you to know that. Why else call from a blocked number and have your number and business invisible on the web?

Google the phone number and see what information that yields. Maybe nothing, maybe a ton.

Save the voice mails and contact the court clerk or court website to see if there is a case filed against you. If there is, send a friend to the courthouse to see what the case is all about. If not, then gather up the voice mails, phone number, and evidence of no court case and contact the local AG or consumer attorney. They will find who this is.

Odds are, these are scammers who will run away once they realize you know what the scam is.

That's what I think too Nascar.

I have one case against me and the only way that I knew it was coming before I was served was that I had advertisements coming in the mail from attorneys wanting to represent me. The letters listed a case number which I looked up on line and found it to be a valid number.

The only number these guys have given me is their in house reference number.

I've had a few of those types of calls where they told me someone was coming to my house to serve papers unless I wanted to take care of the debt over the phone.   My response was always to laugh at them.  Needless to say, no one's ever showed up.

I don't think a reputable attorney or JDB would make such a call.  More than likely, it's a scam.

I did not know there was such thing as a reputable attorney or JDB...jk! I hear you.

It is what I thought too. It is just makes me anxious to get a call like that and wonder what is going on. It is just good to hear from others that have dealt with these guys or a similar situation.

If someone does show up while we are not there, they can get aquainted with my dogs. My two pit bulls love to make friends with strangers when no one is home! lol.

Most likely a scam, just do a AG complaint with the info you got and go from there, next time ask for address company names etc, maybe if you are lucky it might be a real business and you just got a case to file, unlikely but it might happen.

If I file a complaint with the AG's office, do I report it to the one here in Texas?

Do they have to be licensed in Texas to bring a suit in Texas? I know I have seen something somwhere about JDB's having to have something in the state to be able to sue or collect. Can't recall what it is that I saw at the moment.

I don't know if I mentioned it in this tread, but the number they are calling from is in California.

I received these phone calls from a similar scammer.  My cell phone rang with a local number so I answered (probably spoofed) and the first thing I heard was:

Scammer: "get the Clayton County Sheriff on the phone."  Thinking someone misdialed or it was an emergency I said "OMG"  then:

Scammer: "Is this Clydesmom?"  me:  "Yes"

"We have a warrant for your arrest in Clayton County."  Me:  For what?  Scammer:  Bad check and it is a felony.  Me:  Okay I will meet you there.

Scammer:  No, you can avoid arrest by simply making payment arrangements today....  I cut him off, "no I am on my way to the jail now.:"

He continued his pleas for payment actually dropping the amounts as I stated I was at the jail and did they want to meet in the parking lot or inside?  Then they hung up.  I never heard from them again.

Here is the deal:  if this is an actual debt lawsuit they will serve you even if it is by sewer service.  Start by checking your county website to see if a case has been filed against you.  If there is a case you can actually go to the courthouse yourself and arrange service by the clerk at your convenience.  Then you deal with the lawsuit on its merits and defend.

If this is a scam you have other options:  ignore them, when you don't pay they will find another target.  If you do answer the phone and get in another conversation I would simply tell them go ahead and serve me.  This "we want your attorney's name" stuff is to get you to call them back.  If they challenged me in a conversation my answer would be "my attorney said for you to serve me and bring the papers myself."  They are not interested in court they are interested in money.  DO NOT under any circumstance give them money, bank account information, credit card numbers etc.

How this scam works is they make it sound like you are being sued so you panic and pay to avoid court and/or a judgment and protect your credit reports.  Once they identify who is an easy "mark" they put that phone number and name on the payer list and wait a few months.  Then one of their buddies from a different "firm" will call and do the exact same thing stating it is a debt you owe and they have papers to sue so that you pay again.  If they make 500 calls a day and 10 of those result in a payment of 400-500 dollars that is basically several thousand a day for a few phone calls.  Not a bad haul.

If you try to press them for an address, license number, landline, they will either get rude and abusive, hang up, or both.  While everything they do is a violation worthy of a lawsuit the chances of actually identifying who it is and where they are to do it are slim to none.  If you have the time and patience to track them down by all means sue.  Few have that tenacity or time.  I would report it to your states AG and the FTC so that they can at least attempt to track it.

• Like 1

A quick search on 800notes.com indicates that these phone calls from Mulder and Associates is a scam and nothing more.  Two pages of complaints dating back to October/November 2012.  In the fall when it started the alleged attorney was a Mark Mulder and after a few months he had some sort of sex change surgery because the calls changed to a "Maggie Mulder" who was supposed to be suing.

I would ignore them.  If you don't pay they move on.  They are looking for the easy mark.  

Wish they had called me I would have asked if both Mulder AND Scully could come to the house and serve me!   :ROFLMAO2:

• Like 1

My scam alarms are hurting my ears.

If you do want to meet these guys, do it at the courthouse (just give them that address and tell them you will sign for them there).  They won't show up.

• Like 1

Wish they had called me I would have asked if both Mulder AND Scully could come to the house and serve me!   :ROFLMAO2:

That is too funny! It has been two days since I have heard from them. And of course all of you are right...they have yet to show up at my door and serve me anything!

I wonder how many people rush and pay them thinking someone is coming to their house. I thought the whole thing sounded off to begin with. I am new to all this stuff and it pisses me off that they can get away with these tactics. 

I think in general most people want to pay their bills.. But hard times happen to everyone and it is a shame that these scum bags prey on people that have had hard times.

So, now for an update.

I am still getting calls from these yahoo's, but no voice mail - until today.

Again they are asserting that they are trying to deliver papers to me. This time the guy said that they have had numerous attempts at a previous address, previous employer and current residence. And it is imperrative that I, or my attorney, get in touch with them immediately. (Let me jump right on that). It is urgent information regarding a pending civil matter that needs my attention...yada yada yada. (yawn).

I am friends with my previous employer so I phoned and asked if they had anyone come by. They said no (of course), but someone did call saying they were an attorney and they were phishing for information. This friend knows what is going on, I had seen them just last week, so they were smart enough to not say a word.

I am learning that these people know no bounds. I have yet to see someone come to the house or anywhere else. What they do should be illegal. Oh wait...it is!

I am definitely reporting them to the AG's office.