Just was served by Cap One - Need help

sasjp

Okay, so I've been working hard to get things cleaned up, but this collection agency for Capital One has been just plain nasty.  They were quick to respond to validation and I've been trying to negotiate with them over a $800 dollar debt.  Then on Saturday I get hit with a Warrant in Debt.  Sure, I owe the money - however - do you think they'd still just want to settle?  What's going to be easier to get off my credit - this crappy account or a judgement?  I guess what I'm asking is should I try NOT to get a judgement at all costs?

Any idea on how to approach another round of settlement with them - since they've got the court date 30 days away?

Thanks!

SP

Who is the collection agency?

You must answer the complaint or you will lose by default.

Most credit card cases the plaintiffs attorney will have a chance to ask you if you would like to settle with them. Offer half of the amount owed and remove any bad credit reporting and the remaining balance will not be resold to another creditor. Your in and out in ten minutes.

Or you might try calling the plaintiffs attorney before trial and try to settle that way you don't have to go to court.

Who is the collection agency?

You must answer the complaint or you will lose by default.

Most credit card cases the plaintiffs attorney will have a chance to ask you if you would like to settle with them. Offer half of the amount owed and remove any bad credit reporting and the remaining balance will not be resold to another creditor. Your in and out in ten minutes.

Or you might try calling the plaintiffs attorney before trial and try to settle that way you don't have to go to court.

The attorney is Glasser and Glasser - I'll call them this morning.

Thanks all - I called today and they agreed to "continue the case" if I agreed to make three payments to pay off the full balance - they said they couldnt offer a settlement at this point.  I guess it's better than nothing.

Be wary of this.  It could just be a ploy to "continue" the SOL.  When does your SOL expire?

As for settlement or payoff, how much do they want and how much can you pay?

critical warning:  GET THE DEAL IN WRITING AND WRITTEN PROOF OF PAYMENT