Goodwill letter to Capital One

litze

So I'm new here, but I was hoping to find some advice. I recently looked at my credit report and saw that my scores had dropped drastically since last I had checked. I found out that I had late payments on a credit card, flagged at 30 and 60 days. The card is a capital one account that I had completely paid off. What happened was they had charged me my annual fee, and I hadn't even thought to check my balance. So the balance went unpaid. With the late fees and annual charge, I owed around $37. It was frustrating to see my credit drop so low over a miniscule amount. I have paid off this balance.

I am considering writing a goodwill adjustment letter to capital one, however I wanted input as to whether this would likely be adjusted? I have had this account with them for 2 years and this is my only late payment. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I am also unsure as to where/who I would send this letter, so any advice on that would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

They did this to me thru a "Best Buy Rewards" card, which is really Crap 1,  I paid it off, and two months later, got a bill for the annual fee plus a late charge,  I called and told the phone jockey that I wanted the account canceld.  When he asked why, I told him what happened,  He closed the accoun, rescinded the fees, an Crap 1 sent me a letter confirming all this.

YMMV....

i din't know what effect this had on my "sucker score', but I'm not concerned about it.

Goodwill letters work.  I got my mortgage servicer and active credit card to reage my accounts and two other credit cards which were paid off were removed from my credit report.  That was several 30 day lates for the mortgage and 120 day lates for the three credit cards.  I modifed the sample letter on this site.  I think the key is to be humble, because you are asking for a favor.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to share with anyone looking for positive results on goodwill letters to capital one.  I've read on other post that Capital One doesn't grant goodwill request.  I was hesitant in writing the letter but thought it was worth a try.  I wrote them a goodwill late to remove a 30 day late reporting.  I basically wrote them a letter letting them know that I have been a member for many years with only one late and explained my situation.  Two weeks later I received a call saying that they have removed the 30 day late report!!!!

So if you're in the same situation, give it a try.  You have nothing to lose!!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to share with anyone looking for positive results on goodwill letters to capital one. I've read on other post that Capital One doesn't grant goodwill request. I was hesitant in writing the letter but thought it was worth a try. I wrote them a goodwill late to remove a 30 day late reporting. I basically wrote them a letter letting them know that I have been a member for many years with only one late and explained my situation. Two weeks later I received a call saying that they have removed the 30 day late report!!!!

So if you're in the same situation, give it a try. You have nothing to lose!!

Congrats on that! unfortunately for me it didn't work. I have also been a client of capital one for over 7 years and 6 years ago (the one and only time) I made a 60 day late payment on my account. Im recently trying to repair my credit and in an effort sent goodwill letters to 4 accounts all of which were paid late around that same time frame (6 years ago). Only one removed the negative remarks unfortunately. The others were Walmart, navy federal, and LA financial which is the one that helped. All of these accounts were paid on time and it shows on my credit report. Except for that one/two month time frame when I was struggling.

Any suggestions on what I can do about the non cooperative accounts? Or am I just left to wait for the 7 years to pass for them to be removed?