If I go to a Bk lawyer, then to a Dr that recommends expensive surgery, could that be a BK problem?

slavenomore

If after I have gone to a Bk7 lawyers for a consultation,  and then to a Dr. that recommends expensive surgery, could that create a BK problem?

I was thinking of going to see several  Bk7 lawyer for options.   If after i have seen the BK lawyers,

I go see my dr and they recommend expensive necessary surgery for me ,

would that mean the Bk could be in trouble

because I added the surgery expense after I suspected I might have to BK?  

Could that be an expense that puts the BK7 in jeopardy?

What is the rock solid truth on that? 

How does all that work legally? 

Thank you for your experience, knowledge, and clarity on this. 

I have ins. but they never pay for everything. 

I am just trying to do this as smart and legally as possible. 

Thanks, to clarify, so it doesn't legally matter if I see a Bk att. for a consultation before a, dr, dentist or incur other medical expenses as long, as they are incurred before I actually file bk7, correct?

Guest usctrojanalum

I'd be careful about stiffing the doctors who are going to treat you in BK 7. You never know how long you are going to need follow up visits.

Again, ask the lawyers you talk to.  BK "exemptions" and "exceptions" vary by state.  As far as I know, there is nothing in federal BK law regarding medical necessary surgery prior to BK.  Cosmetic surgery may be something else again.

It is up to the trustee as to what they investigate and what they don't.  Your local lawyers will know. 

You definitely should not file before your medical issues are in order.   You have to be abusing the bankruptcy process in order for a certain debt to be declared non-dischargeable.   I guess it would depend on the nature of the medical treatment and whether it's elective or necessary, etc.