Actually, Im with Lincoln... I find the story fascinating. Coltfans passion is easier to take than the lawyer classes condescension. To truly expose the predators you need to get your hands dirty and take risks. Could it backfire? Yep, but it could set a precedent that may help stop the vultures picking over the remains of people dealing with financial catastrophe.

.@Flabbergasted in Va

Yes, Coltfan has passion; he also has a fantastic grasp of FDCPA law ( and this is a fairly simple FDCPA case taken to the extreme); yes he is disdainful of the opposing party .......... aren't you in your case?

I'm hoping for precident for the defendant ........... as you should be ........ considering your situation.

@Lincoln Lark I don't give attention to posters outside Illinois. It simply because I dont know case law, procedure, or form. Im not adverse to those posters or their plight, but its not fair to them if I post on their thread telling them what to do, when I don't really know how to help them.

Coltfan is a really good guy. Like him or not, he makes a great case.

I agree. I love the passion Coltfan had for posters and for going after the violators of the FDCPA. The fact that he has successfully beat quite a few debt collectors doesn't hurt either.

I agree with savior. While I did not start out having contempt for the law firm that sued me...I was scared...I have it now. Why? Because I have seen firsthand how they are willing to bend the law to suit them, lie, misrepresent situations, and do some very underhanded things. So do I have contempt for them? Yes I do.

When I came into this I was looking for a way to try to settle this. I was not expecting some of the very unscrupulous behaviors I have witnessed from this law group. So now I am fighting back.

Are all attorneys like this? Of course not! But I think it is great when they are that we have people like Coltfan that are so good at calling them out on it!

I have learned so much from so many helpful people on this board, but I must say, Coltfan is right up at the top of the list for helping me, and so many others.

I really miss his posts, and his expertise. He was always so willing to help everyone, and I think that is a great thing!

And before you say it for me...with what comes across as disapproval......yes...I am a Coltfan...and proud to say so!

• Like 1

Oh yea, there's a case in Illinois, Unifund Partners v. Shah that's being appealed for the second time right now. The first appeal set a pretty steep precedent on what's required to prove a JDB is the owner or assignee of a debt. So of course the JDBs are fighting it.

It's pretty cut and dry here in PA. We have one case where the trial court shot down the JDB for the usual stuff: not proving a valid assignment, no contract, no accounting of how they came up with the amount they were seeking, and the Superior Court upheld on appeal. We have another case where the trial court ruled exactly opposite (against the defendant), and was reversed on appeal. It doesn't get much better than that.

• Like 2

@Lincoln Lark I don't give attention to posters outside Illinois. It simply because I dont know case law, procedure, or form. Im not adverse to those posters or their plight, but its not fair to them if I post on their thread telling them what to do, when I don't really know how to help them.

Coltfan is a really good guy. Like him or not, he makes a great case.

Same here, gwheelock915. I read almost everything, but if it isn't in PA, about all I can do is wish I could help.

At one point my fees on a case where the case was settled just after they filed an answer was $5,000.00.    Fees add up quickly.

After reading this post and some others I think I really underestimated the cost on his case so far. Looks like it could easily approach 50k+ if it goes to trial. 

That happens when them numbers just don't add up. This could become precedent so caution is advised. With a lawyer on board the case will settle quickly and for big money. The industry will lean on the defendants in that case to pay what he wants or face sanctions from the rest of the industry.

Am I the only one that finds it funny there are close to 50 posts and over 1,000 views and the subject of the post is about a guy that was banned six weeks ago.  Did the guy threaten to kill the president or something.   Seems like the same few posters come out for most threads but bring up coltsfan and the thread gets triple the attention, and it's a guy/gal that was kicked off six weeks ago?

Agree with Savior, you're the only one. Coltfan wasn't just "some guy" on this forum. Many of the people who still support and help here were drawn here because of Coltfan. When I was first sued I googled the name of the plaintiff that I've never heard of, MIDLAND FUNDING, and guess where it took me. Coltfan's thread on standing. Talk about a turning point. Coltfan was very important to this site and has helped hundreds if not thousands of people (not everyone who gets help from this site posts) and is respected by many folks here.

I hope he comes back. Maybe in the future.

• Like 2

Coltfan isn't even banned here as far as I know. He left voluntarily because of some flak from the staff here and he respected their wishes to move on. 

No he was banned.  He's been sending me the nastiest foulest emails on a daily basis because of it.  That and his arrest for animal cruelty hardly makes me think he is a "good guy".  If I lived in Arkansas I would be truly afraid for my safety.  

If anyone wants to see a copy of what he's been sending me, PM me and I'll get it to you.  

What she said....

I know,on the other board, he "fessed up" to the arrest, says he explained it was an accident, and was aquited, and went to rehab, but we only have his word for that.  It would be interesting if one of his friends in the area looked up the details of the case.  I'd like to know if they let him have the  dog back...

Coltfan made the board appear unfavorable on documents filed in Federal Court which are public record for everyone to see.  The staff here decided we did not want that type of negative publicity that came with his posting style.  He was repeatedly asked to tone it back, but refused to do so, and we as a group decided to ban him.  

This board was operational long before he was here, and it will be operational long after he is gone. It was not that other board that he posts on now that received the negative publicity, it was this board.  His thread title on the other is misleading when it states "Judge says I'm allowed to post on DB's"  In fact, the judge does not say that at all because every posting that is documented in Federal Court has come from his postings here.

okay, okay I went back and did some reading and see what the fuss is about and what you mean.  I also know i'm looking at the right case online.  He pretty did take them on and did not back down.  I see why everybody is mad.  It looks like the same stuff he always posted but once some lawyers started making threats in charge here did just cut all ties with him.  I get it now, sorry.  It just looks to me like a lot of trying to be funny but i read between the lines and did anybody really think a judge was going to sanction him or dismiss the case?  Im no lawyer but I know the first amendment but from what I can take from it reading his stuff is like people actually thought he was in trouble with the court?  if so, I can see why he would be mad because its a lot of hot air but I read his case and he appears like it is a can't lose type case using the law.  I don't have to pay the boards bills but I'd like that type of publicity.  Some guy takes a mickey mouse debt case and turns it into a battle over the first amendment and wins and then tells everybody the board he got the info from and that board bans him? I don't have a dog in the fight but I see why everybody is all up in arms.  Looks like he would not back down from a fight and when it looked like he might lose what he thought was the board that would stand by him banned him and then when he won they bring up some old court cases and personal stuff.  Anytime you start attacking the person and not the case it usually means you are losing the battle and i see that is what happened here.  So okay, for whatever it's worth yeah, I'm a coltsfan with you guys. there you happy now.

This board has lost it! Colfan has done nothing but give his time and efforts to people here who really needed it. This board should rise above petty squabbling and realize what a valuable resource they tossed dirt on and banned.

• Like 1

It's time for me to add my two cents.

Coltfan did recieve more than a couple of warnings about his posts.  We had no problem with his humor, enthusiuasm, or knowledge about the FDCPA. 

What we did have a problem with was certain remarks such as turning a legal proceeding into a "circus".  Perhaps he could effectively do so in his court.  The fact is that it doesn't apply in most courts because judges will not tolerate it. 

All we did was ask him to stop making claims that most people could not get away with in their courts.  Then we found out that he informed the other party of this site and his posts including his screen name.  Those posts included some inflammatory language.   That's advertisement we don't need. 

Kristy started this site to help people.  Other than perhaps the few attorneys that post here, she's been researching and learning longer than any of us.  This site is a labor of love for her, and she deserves some respect.

In my opinion, to intentionally expose this site to criticism and scrutiny in order to further one's own purposes is an act of selfishness.  It really disappointed me, and I wasn't expecting such an act.

As Kristy stated, she'll provide some excerpts of his emails to her.  They are not something I'd want to receive.  In fact, they're not emails I'd want someone I care about to receive.  Nor are they emails I would send to anyone for whom I have slightest bit of respect.  Some of the remarks disrepect all of us who have spent our time trying to help others.

As I stated before, I was really disappointed.

• Like 2

What we did have a problem with was certain remarks such as turning a legal proceeding into a "circus".

I see no problem with that.  Probably a lot of people including judges and attorneys refer to certain days in court as being a circus.  And probably every collection agency and their attorneys already know about people posting on here.

It is unfortunate that people have unresolved issues in private messages.  I was wondering what that was about, but it is probably best left private.  When one person posts the other sides messages, that gets done in return, and things escalate. 

The bottom line is that some people are not getting along very well, and this is Kristy's forum, which I appreciate greatly, so the outcome is her decision to make.  The ironic thing is that we're all on the same side here, I think, so I wonder how well collection agencies get along with each other?

• Like 3

I do not consider being arrested on felony charges a "personal" issue.  Its a matter of public record. If indeed he went thru rehab and cleaned up his life, I hope he has learned from it, although his supposed attitude in court would seem to indicate otherwise.

As for his dog...his injuries were traumatic but thankfully he got immediate medical attention, and hopefully was placed in another home.  That too is a matter of public record.

Me...i'm done with this.  Belieive he's a heroic crusader if you like. I have my own opinion.

I do not consider being arrested on felony charges a "personal" issue.  Its a matter of public record. If indeed he went thru rehab and cleaned up his life, I hope he has learned from it, although his supposed attitude in court would seem to indicate otherwise.

As for his dog...his injuries were traumatic but thankfully he got immediate medical attention, and hopefully was placed in another home.  That too is a matter of public record.

Me...i'm done with this.  Belieive he's a heroic crusader if you like. I have my own opinion.

Wow.. didn't realize that criminal background checks are ran on members here...

Did I miss something in the terms of use of this site?

IMO...don't think that is a good representation of this site.

Just saying.... :ah:ah:ah:

I understand the desire to protect this board ........... it is truly a GREAT resource. I would be in a totally different space if this board didn't exist. ColtFan's bravado in exposing his connection, could have seriously affected it's functionality.

However:

I see quite a few other posters describing their 'day in court' as a circus, and we all know that the  'attorneys' these yahoos send to 'beat' us are usually a joke. It just seems that flamboyant personalities are not welcome here. I remember when TrueQ was banned .......... he was flamboyant and espoused a strategy that is now quite accepted is a viable one.

I deplore ColtFan's manifested anger toward Admin via email (even though I haven't seen them)........... she is truly an angel and deserves all the respect we can give her.

I just can't help but admire the guy though ............ he is a real hero to a LOT of people on this board ........... despite his flaws ......... which we all have ......... and must deal with on a daily basis.

• Like 2

I remember when TrueQ was banned .......... he was flamboyant and espoused a strategy that is now quite accepted is a viable one.

The pioneers always take the most arrows.

• Like 2

He cannot hide that he is a member on this site. In our FDCPA actions, thats an interrogatory that is always asked to me. Same with a dep. I can't lie that I post here.

I disagreed with Admins decision to ban him, I wrote her, and she let him back. Whatever happened after that, I don't really know. This is her site and she is well within her rights to ban anyone at anytime, with or without cause. 

If he is sending admin dirty mail, then yes, @Savoir I agree with you, but I also find it to be in incredibly bad taste that we are bringing up things that have happened in peoples past.

Coltfan has helped a ton of people. People that fought back, won and had money to feed their kids and pay their important bills. Maybe if they were lucky enough, maybe even win a little bit from a counterclaim or FDCPA action. I'll never hold what he was accused of against him. An accusation of wrong doing is not a conviction, and even if it were, I'm not going to be a shallow soul and toss him aside. He has been a Godsend for me and my family.

• Like 2

Then we found out that he informed the other party of this site and his posts including his screen name.

I guess I could see what you mean but I think that is actually pretty balsy to be honest with you.  If he really gave them the info and then basically said come at me, they did, and he won then I think that is kind of funny, but I don't pay the bills here so I get it I guess.   Did somebody say it’s on a video, if so where, I have to admit I’d look at it.

I did go look at the other case about the animal stuff.  I don't want to laugh because it was some serious stuff but it looks like it did get blown up.  He looks to admitted to driving messed up but that is pretty much it and there was some rehab stuff in the court file. 

I'm not going to laugh about it, but it looks like he tried to represent himself, the judge would not let him and he filed an 18 page brief and started citing cases going back to the 1800's and put in the motion he demanded to represent himself and took on the risks, knew the risks, did not care and would win.  So there was another motion hearing and he got to rep himself and then filed it looks like 23 motions and won most of them. 

Driving messed up is serious so I'm not going to minimize it or laugh but I think I can see where the circus stuff comes from.  Looks like he paid a fine, the vet bill was 400 bucks that included a week in a kennel waiting on the court so don't know about a real serious injury.  The vet bill says no broken bones or fractures and recovering well.  I love animals so not getting into all that, but looks like he might have told the truth that he got it taken care of cleaned up, I don't know, and really don't care to be honest, sorry. Unless the guy is Superman though, no way he comes out of a rehab still messed up and then represents himself on felony charges and wins unless he cleaned himself up a little.  I do know if I get in trouble after looking at that case I would let the guy represent me no matter what kind of overall guy he was.  I doubt he is not really a lawyer though by reading a lot of that stuff he filed.  I don't know, he had to fight with the judge to represent himself, who knows