Still trying to get BoA of my Credit Report

schmitzy84

I have been fighting to get BoA of my report for over three months now.  I first sent a letter to the CRAs stating the account was not mine.  It came back as verified from all three.  I then sent a 623 letter to BoA which they received on March 11 (yes, I have the signed RR) and they did not respond.  I then filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau which BoA responded to with a letter through the CFPB site on May 14, 2013.  In the letter, it states that the CFPB complaint was the first that they had heard of me contesting the account (which is a lie) and they state that as proof, they were sending copies of payements I had made, but did not include them.  They also state that they no longer own the account, that I.C. Systems does, but the account is showing up on my CRAs as me still owing BoA and having the items zeroed out as they should be if the account has really been sold.  I also have nothing on my account from I.C. Systems and never have.  My last name is very common and this account is not mine but nothing I seem to do gets it removed.   

@schmitzy84

As far as I know, IC System doesn't purchase accounts.  They merely collect for creditors.  If that's the case, IC would be collecting for BofA.

Perhaps another member knows if they purchase accounts.

Save everything.   Your dispute with the CRAs will show that BofA lied when they claimed in their response to your complaint to the CPFB that the complaint was the first time they knew you disputed the account.

I'd have a little more fun and file a follow-up complaint with the CFPB and show the proof of how BoA lied in their answer, both about you having complained (include a copy of the green card) and about their lack of enclosed documentation that shows you, and no other name sake, is the true debtor.

But ultimately, you will need to sue them.

• Like 1

@schmitzy84

In my non-attorney opinion, you have a valid FCRA claim.  But cases have been dismissed based upon failure to follow proper procedure or for insufficient pleadings.   Unless you've filed a lawsuit before, I'd get an attorney.   If you handle this yourself, you could get lucky and BofA might just settle.  However, if they choose to fight, that's a different story because they will have an attorney.

• 3 weeks later...

So Bank of America sent "proff" that I own the account via checks from 2008.  During that time, I had a loan from them, not a credit card (I have proof that I paid off the loan with them).  I have contacted an attorney so I will update you all on how this goes down. 

• Like 1