Right of offset, can banks seize funds after merging?

credit_h

I have a checking/savings account at Chase with $6000.

If I owe WAMU $5000 in credit card debt that has been charged off but not yet sold and Chase acquires WAMU, can Chase exercise right of offset from WAMU CC agreement to seize $5000 from my Chase checking/savings account? If yes, can they do that even if it is out of SOL?

Found this:

"However, federal law limits what a bank can do in some cases.  For example, federal law won’t allow a bank to offset your deposit account to pay off your consumer credit card account."

http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/get-answers/bank-accounts/right-of-offset/faq-bank-accounts-right-of-offset-01.html

So I guess I could leave money in the same bank I owe credit card debts to without worrying about the funds being seized?

Except in cases of FDIC takeover where often there is a sale pending in advance of the target bank even knowing the takeover is coming.  One day it is Bank A.  The next day it is a new subsidiary of Bank B and all your money is safe ... until Bank B figures out the match.  Might be interesting if someone does lose money as a result of such an FDIC action and sues FDIC.

Guest usctrojanalum

Banks cannot use right to offset for credit card debt.  only time i've ever seen it used is on overdrawn checking accounts where the depositor also has a savings account with money in it.

I would not be a bit surprised to find some lawyerly interpretation somewhere that an offset which could not have been done by Bank A against an account in Bank A because of a defaulted credit card at Bank A suddenly becomes OK to do when the checking account is with Bank B and Bank B buys Bank A where the defaulted card is.

We're talking about banks. Heck, whatever rule does exist softening the right of offset is probably on life support, and a few more shrimp and a couple of cocktails at some lobbyist's party and it's history.