Sign in to follow this  
Spencerlynn

PRA states they are NOT a collection agency to WA Attorney general

I find this very interesting, please give me your thoughts on this.

I received an answer today from my state's Attorney General, I filed a complaint with them that PRA was not duly licensed when they filed civil lawsuit against me this past Jan. 2013.

This is from PRA's letter to the Attorney general.

Dear XXXX,

I am writing in response to your May 28,2013 letter forwarding the above-named consumer's complaint in regard to PRA account ending in XXXX.

PRA purchased this Paypal credit account ending in XXX from GE Capital Retail Bank (GE) on XXX. According to business records provided to us by GE in connection with our purchase, this account was opened in XXX of 2008 for XXXX and whose SSN is XXX. According to records, the date of last payment was Aug of 2011, the account became delinquent in Oct 2011, and the sum of XXX was charged off in April 2012. The statue of limitations has not expired for this account.

Thank you for bringing this matter to the attention of our office. PRA is a Delaware Limited Liability Company headquartered in Norfolk, VA, which manages the collection of its own defaulted consumer debt, which has been purchased without recourse. PRA is not a "collection agency" as that term is defined and used in Title 19, Chapter 16, section 100, revised Washington Code (RCW 19.16.100). The debt we collect is not "owed or due or asserted to be owed or due another person" and PRA does not use any name other than his or her own which would indicate to the debtor that a third person is collecting or attempting to collect such claim" as described in RCW 19.16.100. Although PRA does not meet the definition of a collection agency under the current Washington statue and therefore is not required to be licensed at this time, PRA does have a valid license in the state of WA. A Collection Agency License was issued to PRA on May 15, 2013.

I appreciate any feedback and am very thankful for all your help.

Looks like they bought a licence just to continue their lawsuit against you. There is a Washington case with Daniel N Gordon PC against a Washington consumer on be half of Midland Funding that was kicked out because of the license issue. Do a google search and it should come up.

HP

I am not familiar with Washington laws, but I checked it out and it looks like the legislature this year just included a new definition of debt collector:

(d) Any person or entity that is engaged in the business of

purchasing delinquent or charged off claims for collection purposes,

whether it collects the claims itself or hires a third party for

collection or an attorney for litigation in order to collect such

claims.

This change is to become effective in October, so I guess that's why they got a license.

I find this very interesting, please give me your thoughts on this.

I received an answer today from my state's Attorney General, I filed a complaint with them that PRA was not duly licensed when they filed civil lawsuit against me this past Jan. 2013.

This is from PRA's letter to the Attorney general.

Dear XXXX,

I am writing in response to your May 28,2013 letter forwarding the above-named consumer's complaint in regard to PRA account ending in XXXX.

PRA purchased this Paypal credit account ending in XXX from GE Capital Retail Bank (GE) on XXX. According to business records provided to us by GE in connection with our purchase, this account was opened in XXX of 2008 for XXXX and whose SSN is XXX. According to records, the date of last payment was Aug of 2011, the account became delinquent in Oct 2011, and the sum of XXX was charged off in April 2012. The statue of limitations has not expired for this account.

Thank you for bringing this matter to the attention of our office. PRA is a Delaware Limited Liability Company headquartered in Norfolk, VA, which manages the collection of its own defaulted consumer debt, which has been purchased without recourse. PRA is not a "collection agency" as that term is defined and used in Title 19, Chapter 16, section 100, revised Washington Code (RCW 19.16.100). The debt we collect is not "owed or due or asserted to be owed or due another person" and PRA does not use any name other than his or her own which would indicate to the debtor that a third person is collecting or attempting to collect such claim" as described in RCW 19.16.100. Although PRA does not meet the definition of a collection agency under the current Washington statue and therefore is not required to be licensed at this time, PRA does have a valid license in the state of WA. A Collection Agency License was issued to PRA on May 15, 2013.

I appreciate any feedback and am very thankful for all your help.

Really?  They are not a collection agency?  Then why does their site have this disclaimer:

“This communication is from a debt collector and is an attempt to collect a debt.   Any information obtained will be used for that purpose."

They are debt collectors under FDCPA but Washington state law didn't include JDBs in the definition of  collection agency and therefore were not required to obtain a license to conduct business in the state.