DonqIII

Way off topic... Cell phones.

Long story short.

I "lost" my basic cell phone yesterday.

I called Verizon and got the account suspended but she could not

do a replacement because I cannot "upgrade" until July 9.

So... I have some time to check into things.

Wondering anyone's experiences with smart phones.

I never wanted to pay for a data package but I feel so antiquated

with just a phone.

I only ever use it for calls, texts, and pics.

I am sure if I had a smart one I would do other stuff... but

I just am not sure....

Any feedback?

Also... can anyone put into layman's terms as to what 2GB of data

would cover.

Like if I am on here reading and searching and posting as normal,

how much time 2 GB would give me?

Thanks

• Like 1

Consumer cellular so far has been the best and I have tried them all. No contract, you can change your rate when ever you want, they have several smart phones. My bill is arounf forty a month for what I use. They use the AT&T towers great service. You can get the phones a Sears or by calling them.

My son has a smart phone through Verizon. My phone is still stupid. He has the 2GB data plan. He is on it pretty frequently and uses wifi whenever it is available which helps but he has not come close to the 2GB each month. I heard that you can look at about 100 pages on the internet daily and still stay under your 2GB.

I have 2GB with T-mobile, and the only time I ever went over was when I downoaded a ton of music and games to the phone while NOT connected to wifi :(

If you do streaming music from the 'net without being connected to wifi you'll have large data usage, and may approach your 2GB limit.

2GB though is a good amount...most normal usage like posting on here and what-not will not come close to 2GB a month.

Regarding the phones themselves...I HIGHLY recommend getting one with a slide out keyboard.  My last one (T-Mobile MyTouch 3g slide) was great...loved that keyboard.  My current phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) does not have a physical keyboard, so it's lighter but I misspell a lot more often now than before.

Go to the carrier stores and try the phones out that you like, then go online and get a lightly used one on ebay...no contract, cheaper, and then if you find you don't like it you're not forced to keep it :-)

Consumer cellular so far has been the best and I have tried them all. No contract, you can change your rate when ever you want, they have several smart phones. My bill is arounf forty a month for what I use. They use the AT&T towers great service. You can get the phones a Sears or by calling them.

I agree.   Depending upon where you live and how you use your phone, you might be quite happy with one of these companies (generally called mobile virtual network operators).   Similar plans are Tracfone, Boost Mobile, Straight Talk, Net10, etc.   Consumer Cellular, in particular, leases extra bandwidth on AT&T towers.     You can get great looking plans with unlimited voice, text, data, etc.

What these companies don't tell you is that you are using AT&T's [or Sprint's, Verizon's, T-Mobile's] secondary data networks.  This means a few things:

1. You do not have the ability to "roam" onto anybody else's towers.  When you have a contract with any of the Big 4 carriers, it includes a roaming agreement.   If you have the CDMA carriers Sprint/Verizon, you can roam on Verizon/Sprint towers when you don't have service with your primary carrier.   Analogously, you can roam between T-Mobile/AT&T if you have one of the GSM carriers.   If you have a plan with one of these MVNO carriers, you cannot roam.   For example, if you have Consumer Cellular, and you are in an area where AT&T has weak service, you will have weak service.   Your phone will not roam to a more nearby T-Mobile tower like it would if you had a postpaid contract with AT&T.

2. Data speeds..   Sure, you may have "unlimited" data, but 99% of these plans/phones are for 3G service.   [there are 4G/HSPA+ T-Mobile phones available with Wal-Mart's Straight Talk].     Unlimited data is typically aimed at power users and early adopters.   And, those are the people who want nothing to do with 3G service.   So, there is a huge tradeoff here.    TINSTAAFL!     

3. Phones.   The phones are of a lower quality.   The processors are slower, the cameras don't produce as many megapixels, the memory is less....   But, again, their target market is not the power users and early adopters.

Now, if you live in a big city, don't travel much, and thus don't have a need to roam... and don't have a need for the international features that AT&T and T-Mobile can give you.... and only use the Web on your phone to check e-mail, use simple apps to keep track of things, and occasionally look something up on Google, then this can be a great fit for you, and you can save a ton of $$$ just staying 1-2 steps behind in this technological arms race.

T-mobile has some great programs right now.  You can get a Iphone 5 on a monthly payment plan for 50.00 a month, the phone is 150.00 plus 20.00 a month.  but if you go to walmart and buy the 30.00 a month refill card, you can get the monthly service with no contract for 30.00 a month, plus the 20.00 a month for the phone. (you would pay on it for 24 months, for the phone) That is less than most carriers per monthly charge. :)

their special right now is 80.00 a month for 2 phone lines unlimited talk and text, and I don't remember but a bunch of gb for smart phones.  Each additional phone line up to 3 more is only 10.00 a month more. (If you got a family to consider, otherwise go with the walmart refill card plan)

T-mobile has some great programs right now.  You can get a Iphone 5 on a monthly payment plan for 50.00 a month, the phone is 150.00 plus 20.00 a month.  but if you go to walmart and buy the 30.00 a month refill card, you can get the monthly service with no contract for 30.00 a month, plus the 20.00 a month for the phone. (you would pay on it for 24 months, for the phone) That is less than most carriers per monthly charge. :-)

their special right now is 80.00 a month for 2 phone lines unlimited talk and text, and I don't remember but a bunch of gb for smart phones.  Each additional phone line up to 3 more is only 10.00 a month more. (If you got a family to consider, otherwise go with the walmart refill card plan)

Thank ypou for this information, I certainly will look into this also.

We are using Simple Mobile (mysimplemobile dot com) , i pay $40 for my plan (i don't care for internet speeds), he is buying plan for $50 , faster internet. Every month you can buy a pin code in pinzoo dot com via paypal. And text this pin to simple mobile number, and that's it. These plans have unlimited text, calls, unlimited internet (best speed up to 2gb, later slower, but still without additional costs).

I suggest buying phone on ebay, iphone or samsung, or whatever you want.. Used, great prices. Ebay is always on customer's side, so no worries if you don't like the phone (that's why i quit selling on ebay, haha ).

I need to get off my brother in laws cell phone plan.I do have bad credit to due my ex.I have verizon now,what is the best,I do not want a pre paid,I know i would have to pay a deposit but who would approve for a low deposit.

You dont need any deposit or credit check - nothing, if you buy, for example, MySimple Mobile plan. But I hate their Reup service lately, i think i will switch to another pre paid plan, like Straight talk maybe.. Because you can use your own cell phone with them.

I need to get off my brother in laws cell phone plan.I do have bad credit to due my ex.I have verizon now,what is the best,I do not want a pre paid,I know i would have to pay a deposit but who would approve for a low deposit.

Just redid my plan on the 14 th with t mobile. I have 3 phone lines, a new I phone 5 for me, unlimited text and talk on all 3 lines, 2.5 gb per month on my phone for 4g speed, 500mb on other 2 phones for 4g speed, then unlimited 3G after that, my total payment is 134.00 per month.:) and NO CONTRACT!