Collection: CCS & Associates - Threatening me at work?

So in the last few weeks or so I have been getting phone calls with the occasional message asking to me to call back due to “an urgent matter” that I need to address right away/or that day.

Then my work office gets a call from a someone who calls themself a “process server” who is gathering information to locate me for a summons, ask for the office supervisor and is letting the office know he/she may substitute serve there – and I get the following message “Call CCS & Associates, at phone number xxxxx.”

Same person then reaches me by my cell phone (caller ID blocked), identifies themself just with a first name, asks if I have called CCS yet - that he/she is prepping to serve me, something about change of venue, and letting me know I can get ahead of this by making arrangements on my own. My response is I don’t know what it’s about it (I don’t). I ask directly if lawsuit has been filed, they say no. I checked our court system in San Diego, nothing in Civil or Small Claims for them – nothing in Orange County either (where CCS appears to be located) – what’s with the change in venue talk?

This person totally plays the “good cop” routine, saying they doesn’t enjoy serving people at work, but that’s what they’ll have to do if they can’t locate me at home > substitute service to my supervisor…wants to avoid embarrassing anyone…etc. Encourages me to call CSS, wishes me luck.

I don’t know what it’s about; I’ll have to check old mail to see if these people have sent me anything. In the meantime, get another phone call – this time from CCS – new person (new voice for sure) leaves a message “Mr. Blah, this is the Finalization Dept with CCS. Tried reaching you about a claim filed with our office…you need to call us right away - if you don’t, this may result in further action being taken with “name of my company”, you can call us at xxx-xxxx. Wish you luck (again)”

Definitely feels sketchy. Process server giving me a heads up I may get served soon? Change in venue talk? I don't know if they have actually threatened me here in regards to embarrassment at work if/when they serve me - feels like they've kept it vague.

Anyhow I'm planning on looking thru all mail in the next day or two, see I can figure this out. Maybe this is new, maybe not. But I'm curious what people think about this type of behavior by a collection agency? I'm prepping to keep detailed records about their communication attempts as I feel they may/will be harassing me/possibly violating the FDCPA.

It's smells like a scam, so it probably is. All what they are doing is illegal, try to record all calls, and get their address then do a complaint with your Attorney General, and if it's a real company run don't walk to the next Federal courthouse and invite them to court, I know first hand that they are unsure if to go or not and will hand you some cash to excuse them from appearing.

Google them, find out their address and get a DV letter with a stipulation that they are no allowed to call you at work or any number at any time as it is inconvenient. Make a note that you will consider it an FDCPA violation should they presist. Send it off tomorrow CMRRR with green card.

whats their phone number? Is this them?  https://ccsroanoke.techsquared.net/make_a_payment_ccs.php

I would DV them like tommtex said.  make sure you tell them to contact you only by mail.  Then if they call you again you got a cross complaint should you get served, or a suit on its face.  I have an app called "record my call" for android, I am sure apple has one similar.  It's free, and will record all your cell phone calls.  Keep a log record, record any calls, (I don't know if cali is a 1 party state, or 2 party) If its a 2 party, tell them when they call you are recording, or if they tell you they are recording, say ok.  (They just gave consent)  Make sure you send your debt validation certified mail RRR.

A legitimate CA or process server wouldn't make such a call.  See if you can locate any information on them.  If no information is available, it's probably a scam. 

If it were me, I'd talk to them next time they call.  Don't admit to anything.  Just find out about the debt.  See if they'll provide you an address because you'd like to send a debt validation request.   If they start arguing or refuse to provide an address, hang up.

It seems scams usually involve debts that are outside the SOL. 

I've gotten a couple of scam calls like that about debts that are beyond the SOL.  I told them to come on by and serve the summons.  Needless to say, no process server ever appeared, and I never heard from the scammers again.

If I ever get a call like that again, I'm going to tell them how thrilled I would be for them to come by because no one ever comes to see me.

whats their phone number? Is this them?  https://ccsroanoke.techsquared.net/make_a_payment_ccs.php

EDIT: From what I can see, doesn't seem to be the same website/company.

It's a 714 area code they call from: Orange County, CA. I don't think they have called from any 800 numbers (888, 877, etc.). But...the call back number is 866-240-5433. Googling that I come up with some scam complaints and, interestingly enough, a pair of sites devoted to collecting Hurricane Relief:

//....blogspot.com/

....com/content.asp?CID=83744

Going back and searching for the 714 # and this particular thread comes up (same number except for the last 2 digits):

....com/Phone.aspx

Nothing but scam complaints. Not a single post saying something legitmate came from these calls.

...okay, guess I now know what I'm dealing with.

I would DV them like tommtex said.  make sure you tell them to contact you only by mail.  Then if they call you again you got a cross complaint should you get served, or a suit on its face.  I have an app called "record my call" for android, I am sure apple has one similar.  It's free, and will record all your cell phone calls.  Keep a log record, record any calls, (I don't know if cali is a 1 party state, or 2 party) If its a 2 party, tell them when they call you are recording, or if they tell you they are recording, say ok.  (They just gave consent)  Make sure you send your debt validation certified mail RRR.

I'm setting things up to record my calls. California is a 2-party state. So as you say above, if any collector, scammer or legit, calls me and says "we may record this call" then I'm good? I don't have to tell them I am going to record?? If so, that is big, I'd much rather anyone who calls me give me their consent without me having to tell them I'm recording as well.

Google them, find out their address and get a DV letter with a stipulation that they are no allowed to call you at work or any number at any time as it is inconvenient. Make a note that you will consider it an FDCPA violation should they presist. Send it off tomorrow CMRRR with green card.

I'll work on this. When you say "CMRRR with the green card, you mean the physical card I can get the be sent along with the letter? The post office has that, plus an electronic version they say is quicker/cheaper. Is the physical card the better one to use?

A legitimate CA or process server wouldn't make such a call.  See if you can locate any information on them.  If no information is available, it's probably a scam. 

If it were me, I'd talk to them next time they call.  Don't admit to anything.  Just find out about the debt.  See if they'll provide you an address because you'd like to send a debt validation request.   If they start arguing or refuse to provide an address, hang up.

It seems scams usually involve debts that are outside the SOL. 

I've gotten a couple of scam calls like that about debts that are beyond the SOL.  I told them to come on by and serve the summons.  Needless to say, no process server ever appeared, and I never heard from the scammers again.

If I ever get a call like that again, I'm going to tell them how thrilled I would be for them to come by because no one ever comes to see me.

Didn't make sense a server would give me a heads up, not too mention how they tried to be "my buddy" on the phone. If these people prove to be scammers, I'd love to give them a smart remark or two like you describe above.

You send it usps snail mail certified mail return receipt. Also, many times they don't sign for it anymore or fail to return the card, so if that happens also for backup go online to the usps site and download the electronic recipt. This way you will have both if your lucky for proof in court.

Well, after an exhaustive search of all unopened mail that I have received (covering a very long period of time), I can say this "company" has never attempted to contact me before - I'm quite positive of that. Scammers. I'll look forward to their next phone call.

Quick update, checked my email this morning and these people sent me something last Thursday which, fittingly, was automatically placed in my junk folder:

Dear XXXXX,

Please see attached document. Not responding may result in further action taken with "Name of my Employer" and the "licensing Body of my Industry". Contact our office immediately upon review of this message.

Sincerely,

Name

Outsourcing and Mitigations

CCS, LLC

866-240-5433

714-975-76xx Direct

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT BY A DEBT COLLECTOR AND ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPOSE.

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. This e-mail message & its attachments are covered by Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2510-2521 & is intended only for use of person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you are prohibited from disseminating or otherwise using this information under law. Receipt of these documents is acknowledgement and acceptance that this is privileged, proprietary and confidential and will not be forwarded to any party(s) without prior written consent from the sender.

^^ nice disclaimer that I can't share this with anyone without their consent. Right.

Their .doc attachment (who sends things like this in .doc??)

CCS, LLC

2414 S. FAIRVIEW ST. SUITE 210

SANTA ANA, CA  92704

(866) 240-5433

FAX: (714) 475-5335

**Personal and Confidential**                                                        June 6, 2013

My name and address

RE:      Original Creditor: xxx

Original Account No:16 digit  number

File No: #xxx

Balance: $ high 4-figure number

As of June 6, 2013, CCS, LLC is prepared to offer a settlement of $ full balance to satisfy the above referenced account. The payment of $ full balance is based on a total of ONE (1) installment. The payment will be due as follows:

Date Due                                Amount                                 

Late June                               $ full amount            

There is no grace period; any payment not received in the amount or by the date referenced above will render this offer NULL and VOID.

Once the funds have cleared your bank, CCS, LLC will release you from all claims and liabilities pertaining to the above referenced account.  Additionally, CCS, LLC trade line with all major credit reporting bureaus will be updated accordingly as “PAID”. ( <pulled my report last week, no trade lines by these people...so far).

If you are unsure whether the payment will be received in our offices on or before the due date, you may contact the undersigned manager to obtain instructions for sending funds via CHECK BY PHONE or CREDIT CARD.  Please feel free to contact us at any time if you should have any questions regarding your account.

Sincerely,

Name

Outsourcing and Mitigations

CCS, LLC

866-240-5433

714-975-76xx

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT AND ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPOSE.

^ First written communication from these people, that I'm sure of. I'm sending a DV letter, as suggested in posts above. I'm tempted to allow them to continue calling - if they want to say things I can record (or leave messages) that violate the FDCPA - I'm happy to let them do so. But I suppose if I instruct them to only communicate via mail, there is a chance they'll keep calling anyway?

@RyanEX

I don't see a 30 day notice about your validation rights.  Did they include it?  If not, that's an FDCPA violation.  They're supposed to include that 5 days after their initial communication.  They've already contacted you by phone.  At the very least, this email should have included that notice.

Do you recognize the account?   Would it be one that is within the SOL?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, collection agencies must be licensed in CA.  If these guys are junk debt buyers, I don't if that applies to them or not.  You need to find out if they're licensed or need to be licensed.

If these guys are scammers, that email needs to be forwarded to your state's attorney general, your department of consumer affairs, and whichever department handles licensing.

http://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company

I did not see a 30 day notice either. They are located in CA.  I would get a Short DV out to them telling them you dispute this and require validation and that ALL phone calls are inconvienient at any number including your work as they do not permit such calls and hyour cell phone or any other number per the FDCPA. Just point that out to them. Do not give them any personal information or any banking information.

CCS, LLC

2414 S. FAIRVIEW ST. SUITE 210

SANTA ANA, CA  92704

(866) 240-5433

FAX: (714) 475-5335

@RyanEX

I don't see a 30 day notice about your validation rights.  Did they include it?  If not, that's an FDCPA violation.  They're supposed to include that 5 days after their initial communication.  They've already contacted you by phone.  At the very least, this email should have included that notice.

Do you recognize the account?   Would it be one that is within the SOL?

They didn't include it. I included the full text of what they sent in the post. Sent you a PM...

So far no 1) 30 day notice, 2) statement that unless I dispute it the debt will be assumed valid

I think I recognize it. I believe it's within SOL.

Do emails count as valid first contact? Who knows if they have sent anything before that was erased with other junk. I have not received anything by mail.

I don't understand this

Please see attached document. Not responding may result in further action taken with "Name of my Employer" and the "licensing Body of my Industry". Contact our office immediately upon review of this message.

Is this a personal debt? (or is this a debt you may know about at all?)  Where does your employer, and their licence rights come into play?  Is this a company that you are the proprietor  or LLC for? If not, I don't see how your employer would come into this, and that would be a big no no on them.

I don't understand this

Is this a personal debt? (or is this a debt you may know about at all?)  Where does your employer, and their licence rights come into play?  Is this a company that you are the proprietor  or LLC for? If not, I don't see how your employer would come into this, and that would be a big no no on them.

Yes, personal debt. My office and license have absolutely nothing to do with this. I'm not a proprietor or LLC, I am self-employed/independent contractor affiliated with a specific office. So far each verbal communication from them, be it a self identified agent or "process server", has referenced my office. Now this email that invokes my license/licensing body.

Yes, personal debt. My officer and license have absolutely nothing to do with this. I'm not a proprietor or LLC, I am self-employed/independent contractor affiliated with a specific office. So far each verbal communication from them, be it a self identified agent or "process server", has referenced my office. Now this email that invokes my license/licensing body.

sorry...duplicate

What do you guys think of this?  If it were me, I might hold off on sending a DV.  I'd want to see if they send a 30 day notice.

In the meantime, if CA requires collection agencies and JDBs to be licensed, I'd be checking that out.

What do you guys think of this?  If it were me, I might hold off on sending a DV.  I'd want to see if they send a 30 day notice.

In the meantime, if CA requires collection agencies and JDBs to be licensed, I'd be checking that out.

Interesting.

From his address, the company is already located in Calif. Thus, I would bet they are licensed. A quick check would tell. He says he needs them to stop calling at work. Therefore, I would think a quick letter would either stop the calls or lead to violations.