Unapproved hard credit pull from dealership

So the wife and I were looking into buying a car. Went and get pre approved trough our credit union and went about shopping. While I was at work one day my wife went to look at a Jeep I had been eyeing online. After they drove it they sat down to talk price. My wife advised them we had already been pre approved but they advised her they needed to have her fill out some info anyway. She did and shortly after I called her to see how it was going. She told me and I told her to tell them to stop and not do a credit check. She doesn't need an unnecessary pull and I know the dealership was just doing it to see what her credit was to try and jack up the price. She asked for the paperwork so she could destroy it. They said the credit wasn't run and they couldn't give her the paperwork but destroyed it in her presence by shredding it.

So fast foreword a few weeks. She gets a letter in the mail about her credit being run by said dealership. I'm really pissed at them since this was all just them being totally shady. Is there anything that we can do to get the had pull removed? Are they legally in the wrong here?

You may be able to sue them for unauthorized access and no permissible purpose. Our resident attorneys can better help.

This is why when you go to a dealership, you never give them a copy of your DL or any other info as they will use that to make a pull on your CR. Tell them flat out that if they are interested in selling you a vehicle, they will do it your way and that should you find something illegal such as a an unauthorized pull you will sue them. Make sure they understand that you already have your financing lined up and just tell them your paying CASH. In a way, that is what your doing.

You may be able to sue them for unauthorized access and no permissible purpose. Our resident attorneys can better help.

This is why when you go to a dealership, you never give them a copy of your DL or any other info as they will use that to make a pull on your CR. Tell them flat out that if they are interested in selling you a vehicle, they will do it your way and that should you find something illegal such as a an unauthorized pull you will sue them. Make sure they understand that you already have your financing lined up and just tell them your paying CASH. In a way, that is what your doing.

That's what we did. They didn't advise my wife they were going to run her credit. I thought a signature was required to do a hard pull?

Car dealerships will pull your credit at the drop of a hat.  I doubt if you will be able to sue them, as much as they deserve it.

That's what I figured but thought I'd try.

• 5 months later...