Sign in to follow this  
Lfw

Final Status Conference prep/ Joint statement, RE: credit card suit

I am being sued for 40K by a Collection agency that bought my credit card debt.  I answered it, showed up in court and denied it, and we were given a Trial date.  

7 days before Trial we have a Final Status Conference scheduled and we are order  to meet 10 days before that date to confer and to prepare/file a jointly prepared statement, jointly prepared list of names, witnesses,  exhibits, briefs etc...I am representing myself.  I don't know how to arrange this meeting?? or if the debt collection agency lawyer needs to contact me?  the final conference date is set for July 25th and we are supposed to meet 10 days before.  What should I expect, and what do I need to do? 

BTW, i did call the debt collection lawyer but have not heard back.  I am also not sure how to do this proceed.  They sent me a letter saying they needed my "discovery" back which I wrote them and told them I never received. I only got a call asking me to make a deal.  I said no.   I wrote the debt collection company lawyers a certified letter 10 months ago and asked them to provide me with my original signed contract, and they never replied.  

I'd  appreciate your imput and any experience

Prepping for the trial will be intense you will have to prepare a separate statement of the facts and all that stuff then submit it to them and they will do the same you have to call them and document the calls as your attempts to meet and confer concerning any discovery issues. You have to prepare your trial brief and get it to them and the court. You make your submissions making sure they get it. If they will not participate smash them in court by saying they have submitted nothing to me.

time to hurry up and get that stuff done. The trial brief we have many examples on the board. as for the joint witness list look up examples of that and then list witnesses you wish to call of theirs. Namely any affiants, anyone you know about who have done witnessing for them in the past. Etc. Call them and schedule the meeting when you have this stuff all together and send it priority mail. Include a letter to outline all disputes over discovery.

Hope that helps