i have something on my credit

mrflip09

that is not mine but is in good standing! its a credit card with amex...says i opended it in 1996 and has a $30,000 limit and has never been late but i never had that card or anything! is that hurting me from gettting a credit card my name? but i am also sure that its helping my credit bc its never been late! btw my experian fico score is 603

That's pretty good, just leave it there until your credit is good. It's old so it help your average age of account, in good standing, never late, and on top of that with a credit limit of 30k, I mean it can't get better than that. Leave it until either you got good credit, and at least a 2 years old open cc.

That's pretty good, just leave it there until your credit is good. It's old so it help your average age of account, in good standing, never late, and on top of that with a credit limit of 30k, I mean it can't get better than that. Leave it until either you got good credit, and at least a 2 years old open cc.

What kutuzov said.  

Besides the Amex (that is not yours), do you have any credit cards?  If this is the only credit card on your report, you might think about getting one.  Besides showing this Amex as having a high credit limit and a long history, you do need some type of unsecured credit that you are paying on.  One part of the FICO score is a utilization ratio - which you will get by having/using/paying on another credit card.

• 2 weeks later...

that is not mine but is in good standing! its a credit card with amex...says i opended it in 1996 and has a $30,000 limit and has never been late but i never had that card or anything! is that hurting me from gettting a credit card my name? but i am also sure that its helping my credit bc its never been late! btw my experian fico score is 603

We see this often... file a dispute Sir!

It could hurt you by it appearing that you have too much credit, if your other status (like income) doesn't support having 30k available.  The concern could be that you could get in over your head too easy or too quickly with such a high limit (they not knowing you really don't have it).  Also, if that account went delinquent for some reason, it would likely still show up on your report that way.  You don't want that.  If it is not yours, dispute it.  If you have a current need for credit, apply for it and see if it goes through.  It could still be a positive in some cases.