Sarma Collections

enginama1

I seen there was an old post about Sarma, but didn't want to add to a string that was over 5 years old, posting my experiences here.

I had 2 accounts which had unfortunately gone to a collections stage as I had moved and the medical office didn't know where I had moved to, so they engaged Sarma ... debt collection not debt sold. They were both below $100, but as I had moved both Sarma and the medical office couldn't inform me ... I didn't have mail forwarding.

So found these items on my credit report, called Sarma .. asked who the OC was and also asked the rep would you do pay for delete, they said no we don't ... so called the OC and explained the history and paid them directly ... NOT through SARMA.

Now based upon what I have read, my next action is to tell OC to pull back my account from SARMA and for them to instruct SARMA to delete all of my records they hold ... per HIPAA compliance they can only hold these records for the purpose of collecting a debt. If there is no debt they are in breach of HIPAA for retaining these records.

Then once that has happened I go to CRA's deny the items and as SARMA have no records (or shouldn't if they comply) they can't confirm accounts ... and woo hoo items get deleted.

Theory: a contemplative and rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking. This what you have, a theory, it sounds good, but not as easy as you think when working with debt collections and credit reports. They all have different rules, some of which they make themselves and some which are laws. Getting them to comply is the hard part.

But at least by comparing the theory of the way it is expected to, or should, work, and how things actually do play out, it can provide a clue that there may well be violations in the mess.  For example, if the CA confirms the disputed TL, then it appears they have not actually deleted the data.

• Like 1

You could try. Also why not explain the doctor office that you moved and got no bill delivered to you, maybe they will understand recall it and send you a bill to your ne address and you pay. I did that once with a medical bill they got a wrong address I told them you technically never bill me cause you send it to a wrong address so how I'm suppose to pay? now in my case it was their error, I went to the hospital and one of them copy my address wrong they put 910 instead of 970 (that's why over the world they use a different 7!), in your case it is your error but maybe they can do something. I got success with mine, so maybe you can do it too.

So here is where I landed.

Paid the OC last week .... gave them a call today, I was nice and explained the situation as to why I didn't get the letters, asked them to pull back the account and request deletion of Sarma's records.

They refused, said it's not their practice to ask their debt collection company to delete records.

They will update the collection company to update CRA's with paid but not a deletion.

So moral of the story here is before you pay the OC get agreement from them that they will have the debt collection company to do a delete ... if they won't then you hold the payment to ransom as in a normal pay for delete

@enginama1- I would dispute with the credit bureaus immediately.  The collection could very well be removed.  In addition, since the account is not valid (the collection), you could get nasty with the collection agency about their lack of documentation.  

Since the amount is paid and they have no skin in the game, I bet when it comes time to e-verify that they don't bother and it's removed. It's extra work for them.