Portfolio Recovery will not verify

appletree

Hi, I'm new here and have a few questions.

What should I do about PR?  They have been hounding me for almost 2 years now.  It's at the point now where I get at least one call an hour every day, 7 days a week. Sometimes more than that because they use different numbers to call. 

The debt is an old credit card charged off by Wells Fargo.  Six years old.  I checked my credit report and filed a dispute stating PR was trying to collect an extra $800 on the original debt and will not verify they have any legal right to do so.  The only DV I received from them was a bill stating they had purchased the account electronically.  No dates were given.  Last week I received a bill stating they would not sue me with an offer to knock a few hundred off the total.  The credit bureau simply verfied the account numbers were the same as the charge off account and that was it.  Then PR sent a letter with forms to fill out for identity theft.  Since then they start calling at 8:01am and continue until 8:59pm.

Of the three main numbers they use to call one shows up unknown number.  I did answer and asked why the number showed up that way, They said it was to protect my privacy.  They also call my cell phone, it used to show up portfolio recovery but now comes in the form of 800 numbers or just odd city and states listed.  I have told them my cell is my work number so now they use the other numbers to call.  There have been several times I've been on the phone with clients having my phone cut in and out because they will call several times in a row.  If I do answer they won't speak.  I stopped trying to speak with them months ago anyway after being told I needed to learn to do math when I finally got one of them on the phone to tell me the date of the debt and what exactly it was for.  For the first few years they would just name the bank and tell me they were not obligated to send anything in the mail or even give me an account number. 

It has gotten to the point we can no longer really use the landline.  We keep in another room.  My answering machine broke and I have not gotten another one because they would fill it up with nothing but dead air every day.

I know the original debt is close to being dropped off my credit report and I checked my status with the original creditor and found out they can't even find it, maybe because it was charged off.  They even just financed a car for me so there doesn't seem to be any issues with this particular bank. 

Will a cease and desist letter stop this craziness?  Does anyone have a correct address to send it too.  Each letter I get from them has a different address.I have worked really hard to clean up my credit over the last few years and things are finally getting better. 

Also, there are several things on my credit report I do not recognize.  A few collections for cell phone companies I've never used.  I need some help with that too. 

• Like 1

Will a cease and desist letter stop this craziness?  Does anyone have a correct address to send it too.  Each letter I get from them has a different address.I have worked really hard to clean up my credit over the last few years and things are finally getting better. 

It should, if it doesn't sue them. After your C&D they have 1 last communication, to tell you hat they are going to do, like sue etc. as it's past SOL, you probably won't hear from them again. If they contact you again after they get the C&D letter sue them. Send it cmrr to the last address on the last letter you can find, and be done with them.

• Like 1

The reason they won't sue is that the debt is Out of Statute in Texas. SOL in TX is 4 years. Being OOS doesn't stop them from asking for payment but you now know there is nothing they can do to force you to pay.

Why not have some fun with them - the next time they call ask them "what will you do to force me to pay?" If they mention the word "sue" you have a FDCPA violation.

Do a Google search for "Chris Cunningham" and "Dallas Evening News" - interesting reading.

• Like 1

Record their calls, don't tell them that you are recording. You can do that in TX. As Flying said, if you want to have fun and make a thousand bucks, get them on an FDCPA violation. Other wise, send them a letter CMRRR and tell them it's past SOL and that the next call will bring forth a law suit. You may not even make them stop until you sue, you will just have to see. Make sure that you reference the TF-392 in your letter to them. Google it. It has more teeth than the FDCPA. I started a TX thread on here somewhere, look for it.

• Like 1

I am going to type up a cease and desist letter today.  I've had 3 calls in 90 minutes today already and it's barely past 9:30am.  They have called from two different 800 service numbers and one that shows up cedar rapids.  Two on my home phone and one on my business.  They know it's my business line too.  They must have looked me up online and found it.  I've told them it's my work phone and they say it doesn't matter because it's a cell.  I may have to get my number changed due to all these calls, but I can't change my business number.  Hopefully the c&d will stop this. 

A relative living with me fell behind on his Conn's bill and they call every hour too.  Before my machine broke they were leaving messages about his account, that's the only reason I know he fell behind.  They are just as bad as PR.  I told them I will not relay any messages to him because it's none of my business and they shouldn't have left those messages with details.  They hung up and prank called me a few times right after. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone.  I'm going to search for a cease and desist letter online I can use. 

As of today I now have another group calling me.  I do know there are a few items on my credit report about to drop off withing the next 12 months. I've been told usually before that happens accounts are sold to other groups who start hounding you.  I think that's what's happening now. 

Right now I just need to get rid of PR.  They have been calling for years and I'm not sure why experian allowed them to stay on my report when they didn't verify they had any right to collect.  I never received any copies of anything they sent to experian.  Only one letter from experian saying they verfied the account numbers.   PR sent me a courtesy notice informing me they purchased the account electronically and included forms to fill out for identity theft.  I don't even trust the credit bureaus anymore.  They didn't  do anything about the $800 difference and didn't send me any copies of correspondence. 

I'm not sure what happens when a bank charges off a credit card debt but I've gone into a local branch and called customer service and no one can find anything on file about it.  The charge off with them drops off my credit report in a few months.  I would think PR would have to drop it too.