Anybody familiar with AmSher?

nobk4me

Posted this at the other board, didn't get much response.

AmSher is located in Birmingham, AL. They pulled my credit about a month ago, but haven't contacted me. It's not clear if they are a CA or a JDB too.

Their website is strange, I think:

http://www.amsher.com/receivables-services.html

They have a lot of weird statements, such as:

We won't lay a hand on anything but the telephone. Promise.

Killer credentials.

Nobody gets off the hook and nobody gets hurt.

On their blog they have a photo of a thuggish looking man, with the words: Thugs and goons are just so, like, last century . . .

http://amsherblog.com

I suppose they think this is cute and funny. But if I ran a collection agency, I would never mention violence, even if to say "oh, we don't do that stuff." That should be a given, as it is illegal.

It's probably not a violation, but it is kind of creepy.

BBB file says they've been around since 1986 but the bbb doesn't have a process for verifying that. They show 108 complaints in the last 3 years all "resolved" which means they responded to the BBB when presented with the complaint.

Bottom line is they are a Collection Agency and need to be treated as such if you or anyone else is contacted by them.

They do not have a right to "pull" your credit so that inquiry should be removed.

I have received no calls or letters from them.  I have no idea what account they have, if any.   I just saw they pulled my credit report.

@nobk4me - Dispute with the credit bureaus.  If that doesn't work, time to send a strongly worded letter to the collection agency.   

Since they haven't contacted me, I consider them in the category of "sleeping dog."  Which  is best not to disturb.  Cleaning up credit isn't my priority at this point.  Avoiding lawsuits and other trouble is.

Another thing to consider:  maybe they did the pull to bait me into contacting them???     It might be best to avoid a CA that, while probably trying to be humorous, brags on their website that they don't commit felonies to collect debt.

Another thing to consider:  maybe they did the pull to bait me into contacting them???     It might be best to avoid a CA that, while probably trying to be humorous, brags on their website that they don't commit felonies to collect debt.

I wouldn't put it past them.