dilemma with california state tax board

I have not had a filing requirement for several years as I'm retired, and my income has been below the minimum requirement for filing. 

According to the California state tax board, due to my having a business license that is not being used, they take an average of people making a high income, and then they apply that to me.  Based on that erroneous information, they've been sending bills to me for several years.  In response, I have called and written to them numerous times, telling them the information is not mine and asking them to stop charging me for taxes I don't owe. 

At first they corrected the information when I contacted them, but the last few years they have been ignoring my letters, not even responding to them, and then sending more bills.  Currently they are saying that I owe them $18,000, all of it based on income from other people, not from me.

The last letters that I sent to them were March 11, 2012 and February 3, 2013, and I'm planning to send them another one this week CMRRR.  If it will help to post the last letter that I sent, let me know and I'll post it. 

I'm very concerned, nervous and worried about this, and appreciate all ideas and suggestions.

Colo did the exact same thing to me. They told me the best way to stop that was to file a zero income every quarter. They zapped my money right out of my bank account, they gave no warning. I had to go back 2 years and file zero income for the business licence, send them Cmrrr with a letter. Then I followed up with like 5 phone calls before I got them to fix it and had to wait 8 weeks to get my money back.

Go file your business taxes for how ever many years, then call them as we'll as send them a letter. They won't warn you to take anything from you, they will just do it.

• Like 1

I'm very sorry that happened to you.  Were you writing to them before they took out your money?

That's what I'm concerned about is them stealing from me with no warning. 

I don't owe them any taxes, at all, so there is nothing to pay them or file, other than filing a zero return, but they won't even answer me to say what I can do.  The last few years when I've called them, they just keep me on hold for an hour and then they hang up, so all I can do is to write to them.  Thanks much for your feedback.  I'll try to call again and find out about the zero returns.

Yes talked to them on the phone prior 2 years, they took the charges off, then whammo. I didn't realize I had to file even if I didn't owe, but they sure brought me up to speed lol. It's different than personal income tax, they said I needed to file even for zero or they take like businesses and average the income they think I should make. What a joke, they have no clue.

• Like 1

That's very interesting, scary, and helps me realize that I need to do this right away.  There is a minimum in California even with a business license where no form needs to be filed, but they certainly don't play by the rules, even their own.  When I talked with them before they never told me that I had to file, probably because they prefer to keep hassling me.  I read that California collects more than 2 billion in taxes every year from people who don't owe it, and for this very same reason.  Thanks for responding.

I called the California tax board today and their estimated hold time was 92 to 132 minutes.  I've gone that route before and when they finally answered, they hung up.  As they answer less than 50 percent of the calls, including their hang up calls, it is practically impossible to reach them by phone.  I checked their filing requirements again, and have been below their filing requirements for the years in question.

My only option appears to be to write them more letters and send them CMRRR.  I will prepare another one this weekend and send it on Monday.  So far with all the letters I've sent, they've not responded to one of them.  Hopefully the CMRRR will get a more positive response and outcome.  Any additional ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

You may want to shell out some $$ and get a CPA or EA to help - CA is notorious for levying bank accounts without warning. Also, they have -zero- problem with recording a tax lien... if you own real estate, they will file a lien on that too...

• Like 1

You may want to shell out some $$ and get a CPA or EA to help - CA is notorious for levying bank accounts without warning. Also, they have -zero- problem with recording a tax lien... if you own real estate, they will file a lien on that too...

I emailed some EA's yesterday and haven't heard back. 

In the meantime I'm curious; what could an EA do that I couldn't do on my own?

Well, an Enrolled Agent is licensed to represent you before the IRS and many of the state agencies (much like a lawyer does in court). They have tons of education when it comes to taxes, and understand the system a lot better than any of us do...

The person who does my personal and business taxes is an EA and she's saved my bacon a couple of times...

• Like 1