Allied Interstate

surfhn

Long time no post.  Anyway, I received a dunning letter from "Allied Interstate" for a debt that is way outside of the SOL here in SC.  I sent a DV letter to them on the 20th of this month (july).  Then I received a response from a "Resurgent Capital Services" company.  There are about fourteen different companies under the "Sherman Companies" to which the two companies listed above are a part of.  My question is do I have to send a DV to all of the companies, or is the first one I sent good enough? Or, should I just send a C & D letter and to whom would I send it?  Allied Interstate did say in their dunning letter that they would not report it to cra's and would not sue.  Does that just mean Allied Interstate will not sue or report?  Can any of the other companies sue?  Confused!

Thanks!

Long time no post.  Anyway, I received a dunning letter from "Allied Interstate" for a debt that is way outside of the SOL here in SC.  I sent a DV letter to them on the 20th of this month (july).  Then I received a response from a "Resurgent Capital Services" company.  There are about fourteen different companies under the "Sherman Companies" to which the two companies listed above are a part of.  My question is do I have to send a DV to all of the companies, or is the first one I sent good enough? Or, should I just send a C & D letter and to whom would I send it?  Allied Interstate did say in their dunning letter that they would not report it to cra's and would not sue.  Does that just mean Allied Interstate will not sue or report?  Can any of the other companies sue?  Confused!

Thanks!

@surfhn- I doubt if they will be either reporting to the credit bureaus or even suing you if they sent that letter.  I think your DV suffices for now.  Hang in there and see what happens in 30 days.  

If its outside the SOL I would send them a letter that says "I refuse to pay".  If they keep bothering you after that hire an FDCPA Attorney and sue them in Federal Court. 

Make sure and send the letter CMRR. I would send it to whichever address, "company", sent the original letter. It also helps if you have a witness verify what you have sent. You can even go as far as video taping the entire process from writing the 4 words to dropping it at the post office. 

Don't you just love Zombie debt? They know it's outside SOL for reporting and suit but think you will be stupid enough to make a payment and start the clocks all over again.

My reponse would be "If you won't sue, then how will you get me to pay?"

Ah, I had Allied back in the day.  This is what Zombie Debt does...it just lumbers around and ignores you.  Send them a C&D?  They'll sell the debt to someone else, who will bug you.  Send them a DV?  Same.  Round and round you go, until you get sick of paying $5-6 a time to send certified letters that they ignore.

I believe that the collection industry is so hyper-inflated because of accounts like mine.  They may have a paper value of around $20k, but in reality they are worth nothing, because it's all far past SOL, and I never pay anything.  But they keep selling and trading and exchanging the debts as if they were valuable.

I gave up on it, and I just keep all the new letters from new collectors.  Most of my debts are so old that they don't even send me an annual letter about it any more.

If a debt is outside the SOL, I would send one last DV, and keep records of it when they ignore it.  Then ignore every other response on that account, whether from the same collector or a new one.  No one is likely to sue over debt this old, and, if they ever try anything, you can produce a stack of correspondence showing they have never responded to your DV.

Ah, I had Allied back in the day.  This is what Zombie Debt does...it just lumbers around and ignores you.  Send them a C&D?  They'll sell the debt to someone else, who will bug you.  Send them a DV?  Same.  Round and round you go, until you get sick of paying $5-6 a time to send certified letters that they ignore.

I believe that the collection industry is so hyper-inflated because of accounts like mine.  They may have a paper value of around $20k, but in reality they are worth nothing, because it's all far past SOL, and I never pay anything.  But they keep selling and trading and exchanging the debts as if they were valuable.

I gave up on it, and I just keep all the new letters from new collectors.  Most of my debts are so old that they don't even send me an annual letter about it any more.

If a debt is outside the SOL, I would send one last DV, and keep records of it when they ignore it.  Then ignore every other response on that account, whether from the same collector or a new one.  No one is likely to sue over debt this old, and, if they ever try anything, you can produce a stack of correspondence showing they have never responded to your DV.

@mdk003 - It's true, most debt gets thrown around to various collectors.  To avoid the hassles, it only costs the price of a CMRRR.  

Plus you have an absolute defense in the statute of limitations.  And it shouldn't report on your Credit report after 7 years.  

• 2 weeks later...

Resurgent Capital responded in a letter that started out by saying, "This letter is in response to your questions regarding the status of the above referenced account......blah, blah, blah".  I guess it was enough to be considered an answer to my DV.  They gave me the original account number and the address and name of the original creditor.  So, I thought I would go ahead and send a C&D to them.  I just sent the C&D yesterday--but the company has an office in state, so it shouldn't take that long to hear from them--however they may respond.

You should get letters from all the Sherman companies.

BUY LOTS OF STAMPS OR RENT A POSTAL METER

If I left out any I apologize in advance.

Alegis Corporate Services, L.P.
Alegis Group L.P.
Anson Street LLC Partnership
Ascent Card Services, LLC
Ascent Card Services II LLC
Ashley Funding Services LLC
Cms Gen Partner LLC
Credit One Bank, N.A.
Credit One Financial Solutions, LLC
Enhance Financial Services Group Inc.
Fieldstone Asset Management LLC
First National Bank of Marin
FNBM, LLC
Granite Asset Management LLC
Limestone Asset Management LLC
MGIC Investment Corporation (No longer has controlling interest in Sherman as of 2008)
MHC Receivables, LLC
Mortgage Guaranty Insurance (MGIC) Corporation
Outsourcing Solutions Inc. (OSI)
PYOD LLC
Radian Group, Inc. (No longer has controlling interest in Sherman as of 2010)
Resurgent Capital Services L. P.
Resurgent Capital Services PR LLC
SFG REO, LLC
Sfgmx, LLC
Sherman Acquisition II General Partner LLC
Sherman Acquisition II Limited Partnership
Sherman Acquisition L.L.C.
Sherman Acquisition Limited
Sherman Acquisition TA LP
Sherman Capital Markets LLC
Sherman General Partner TA, LLC
Sherman Originator, LLC
Sherman Financial Group, LLC
Tradd Street LLC

Credit One

LVNV is part of that bottomfeeding collection sea monster as well.btw sufhn if they haven't started they will call,and as with any bottomfeeder it won't be pleasant.as long as you are willing to put up with that,but it's your call.i would start accumulating proof for a lawsuit as this is a complete bottomfeedng group that loves to play dirty.

Does anyone know that if I stated in my letter that any of the Sherman Companies should not contact me, would that take care of all of them?  For example the following is part of the letter that I sent.

With this notice, under the law, you are notified that you may only contact me to:

1. Advise me that your company is immediately terminating all further collection activity; or
  2. Notify me that your company or the creditor, may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by you, the debt collector or the creditor; or
  3. Where applicable, to notify me that your company or creditor intends to invoke a specified remedy.

In the event that you fail to honor my request to cease all communication with me regarding this alleged debt (except as allowed by law) your company may be held liable and subject to penalties as allowed under Federal and South Carolina state law.  Please know that a record of all contacts made by your company to me, have been, and are being noted and logged. 

Furthermore, if you or any other agent of your company, or any agent of LVNV Funding LLC, or any agent associated with you or the Sherman Companies attempts to contact me regarding the above referenced alleged debt, except as allowed by law, a formal complaint will be filed with the South Carolina State Attorney General’s Office and the Federal Trade Commission and I may seek relief in a court of law to exercise the rights granted to me under the FDCPA and South Carolina State Law.