"In dispute" means the account isn't factored into your credit score.

I realize that guy who wrote this article puts his "credintials" out there for everyone to see, and I cannot legally claim to have such knowledge,but, if I could I would say that "in dispute" significantly lowers your sucker score, is near death to your FICO Mortgage Score, and will have little effect on your FICO New Car score.  "In dispute" does indeed cause any "lates", "utilization factors", or "over limit" indicators to be ignored, but it does add a negative value of its own to the scoring equations. 

@willingtocope - I don't think that "in dispute" kills your score, but many lenders won't lend to you if you have "in dispute" on your credit score, effectively killing your chances at a mortgage.  This is the one case where having a score doesn't matter as much as what it says on your credit report.  

This is very difficult to prove one way or the other because we're only allowed to see the FICO Consumer Score and the other true FICO scores only have a 15 day "shelf life"...but...the other FICO algorithms do factor in "in dispute" tradelines.

@willingtocope - I'm not doubting you, but how do you know this?