Debt Validation and Credit Bureau Dispute

JBMarque

I have three accounts in collections and wanted to know if it is advisable to send dispute letters to the credit bureau while pursuing debt validation with the collections company? After reading several posts it appears it appears that if the debt is valid e-oscar will just simply spit out a canned response. Only to find that after 30 days I should have not wasted my time with the credit bureau and instead went directly to to collection agency to resolve with the debt validation letter and following steps. Can anyone tell me if pursuing both simultaneously can be detrimental to the credit repair process?

@JBMarque - it's always best to dispute with the credit bureaus first, but you can send a DV simultaneously to the CA.    This is the debt validation method.  

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I will keep you all informed as to the outcome.

Cheers!

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I will keep you all informed as to the outcome.

Cheers!

Please post back when you find something out!  I disputed with a cb and they didn't show any proof of anything.  It's still on there. I got a letter saying the account number was the same as original creditor. The reason I disputed it in the first place was because the ca won't verify they own the debt now.  They said they bought it electronically but will not show proof of anything. 

Please post back when you find something out!  I disputed with a cb and they didn't show any proof of anything.  It's still on there. I got a letter saying the account number was the same as original creditor. The reason I disputed it in the first place was because the ca won't verify they own the debt now.  They said they bought it electronically but will not show proof of anything. 

@appletree - you might have to pull out the big guns and send them an intent to sue if you really don't feel they have any documentation.  

@appletree - you might have to pull out the big guns and send them an intent to sue if you really don't feel they have any documentation.  

It's that stupid portfolio recovery.  It has one year to drop off my report.  By next Aug I will only have one negative.  I have three good accounts so I'm hoping my score will increase. 

I only disputed it with one cb but noticed today it shows up as disputed on the other two. Is that normal?  There is something else on there from afni that says I disputed.  I don't remember doing that and I didn't have verizon so I need to do something about that. 

I know this isn't the right place but I have a question.  Why would the last 4 digits of my son's ssn be on my report as a ssn associated with my name?  We don't have any accounts together. 

I know this isn't the right place but I have a question.  Why would the last 4 digits of my son's ssn be on my report as a ssn associated with my name?  We don't have any accounts together. 

@appletree - The credit bureaus are notoriously bad about having wrong information on your credit report.  I would write to them ASAP and have the SSN corrected.  You might find more of your son's accounts on your credit report if you don't.

• Like 1

@appletree - The credit bureaus are notoriously bad about having wrong information on your credit report.  I would write to them ASAP and have the SSN corrected.  You might find more of your son's accounts on your credit report if you don't.

I will. It's experian.  My report with them is the worst.  There are a few things I'm trying to get fixed now.  I financed a car two months ago and my score dropped 80 points.  It didn't with the other two.