I'm sad ... :(

kutuzov

All right today I got home and got a message from a Debt collector:

"This is CBE a Debt Collector, please return our call  at xx Thank you" that was the whole message. Anyways I call them back spend an hour over the phone and got to call 3 times, and finally got with someone that got info on the account. First call was just a run around, second call the CSR told me they got no info on any account with that phone number, but third was a charm! Anyways it was for someone else I do not know or have a clue who she is, I did receive a letter that said personal and confidential for I believe for that person about a month ago (it matches the 30 days DV, more or less), in the end the CSR told me they would remove my phone from the list :( I as hoping it was for me!

So they or the mailing services didn't acknowledge the returned letter, I did wrote "Not current Resident return to sender" mark down the name and circled the return address. 

All right maybe next time ...

• Like 3

Hey, since all of them got a C&D that would mean 1k for me ... and you know with 4 kids I can use the extra cash, unfortunately it was just a bad skip tracer. I sincerely got no clue why they call my number I got it for 20 years straight, it's a land line and been living in the same address for maybe 3 years now. I already got other Debt collectors call me for another person before. I do need help, I admit it's the first step.

• Like 1

They are probably just going on where a former resident once lived. I have received calls for different people who may have lived at my address at one point in time. I also have had the same number for over 20 years and have even lived at this address for 10 years. Its just a shot in the dark by the JDBs/CAs. Unfortunately they have very little to lose by doing this.

All right, they keep calling Monday 8:30 am they call again. Automated call with a a prerecorded message, for someone I don't know and of course doesn't live in the house, and did not have this phone number for at least the last 20 years...

Anyways their message:

"Do not record this call, this call is from CBE Group a debt collector, we are looking for Joe Doe, if you are Joe Doe press one now, if you are not Joe Doe hang up, Thank you", every single morning, and after I send back their letter as not current resident, and call them and was on the phone for about an hour and they told me they would remove my number from the list. I guess I will let them keep calling and when I got a bunch of TCPA violation I sue them for harassment and each violation, oh well maybe it's better this was that an easy FDCPA violation.

Thoughts ideas?

"Do not record this call" ... yeah? and whatcha gonna do about me recording it, anyway?

Obviously they are expecting to harass people by NOT having the computer make note of calls where the called party just hangs up, and just doesn't call them any more.  If you did that at least once, like the first time, then everything after that is outside of "bona fide error" (more like "bad programming" or "bad policy").

You got their number?  Can you share it?

They call from this number,  319 4327619, if you google CBE group you will find their 1800 number. Calling ith an automated robo is a violation on it's own, and keep doing it after I call them it's a willful violation, not that the other ones were not.

Yeap I got it under control, a local attorney will take the case, he told me to let them keep calling and in 30 days or so we get together with all the phone log and sue them, I'm easy 2-3k will settle this one, plus attorney fees regardless of the number of calls.

• Like 1

Yeap I got it under control, a local attorney will take the case, he told me to let them keep calling and in 30 days or so we get together with all the phone log and sue them, I'm easy 2-3k will settle this one, plus attorney fees regardless of the number of calls.

@kutuzov - Nice!

All right 5th robo call leaving a prerecorded message, 3 before I called them and 2 after, so let me do maths as for now:

3 x 500 = 1500 (could be 3 x 1500 but I do give them the bona fide error)

2 x 1500 = 3000

In 30 days at 3 calls a week $1500 a call, would be $18k plus the $4.5 of right now, a total of $22.5k, settle for 10k plus attorney fees, I think I just found someone that likes me!

• Like 1

This is a TCPA violation for sure.  My mother in law has been getting debt collector calls for my wife and I and not only is my attorney suing on our behalf for 3rd party disclosure(FDCPA), she is suing on my mother in law's behalf for TCPA violations.

You's about to get PAID.

• 2 weeks later...

What is all this talk about settling for a lesser amount. I would not let them off the hook that easily. You forgot to add the statutory damages and the punitive damages for continuing to call after you told them not to. That is willful noncompliance. Punitive damages could be WAAAAAAAAAY more than the calls alone.

• 1 month later...