allied interstate-should I pay them or contact sprint?

cworley

Hi all, this is a great forum that I just came across tonight. I have two issues I am dealing with while attempting to get all my debts paid off and will start with the easy one for my first post:

Sprint bill with a balance of 198.00 for my last two months of service after I cancelled my cell phone with them about 4 months ago. Without Sprint making any attempts at collection, I have received letters from allied interstate for collection for the past couple of months. It's such a small amount and if sprint had just kept it I already would have paid it. Allied has sent me a letter stating that sprint has authorized them to accept 150 for settlement on the full amount due. I don't have a problem just paying the 198 and would probably prefer doing that with sprint. From the language "sprint has authorized us to accept settlement..." I think sprint may not have sold the debt off and this CA is acting as an in-house collection agent or something for them.

So far this isn't on my credit report. Should I just contact sprint first before dealing with this CA and see if I can pay the full amount with them and trust that they will call off the collection agency or just pay the 150 to the collection agency? Part of my thinking is I'd rather pay the full amount to sprint in hopes that paying the full amount will make it less likely that this ends up on my credit report. Thanks!

I agree with nascar.  The worst they can do is not cash it.  If Sprint is "authorizing" amounts through the CA, then they still own the debt.  If they do cash it, when it shows on your banking statement, then call Sprint and ask about the status of the account.  If in that call they try to tell you to call the CA for that, tell them you believe the CA is giving false information and you need the official source.  Better yet, write to them and ask this.

The amount on the account might have gone up due to interest.