"Lien on me....."

Rycher67

Ok.  Now that I've addressed my cc issue it's time to focus on the big bad IRS.  The Internal Rectal Surveyors.

Basically I 1099'd it for a few years and never filed or paid anything and was contacted by the IRS about in 2010.  I retained a tax attorney and began the process of filing taxes for all the years I missed (2005-first half of 2010) and setting up an installment agreement with the IRS.  I provided my attorney the 433 form and waited for a response.  The first offer from the IRS was more than I could afford so we tried again with another 433 form that had additional expenditures listed but basically the same info provided.  The revised information was submitted and again I waited for the response.  This had taken us into 2011 by the time the hearings were scheduled and all the paperwork was submitted.  All within the time frames the IRS determined.  In the first week of September 2011 I was notified that I had had a lien put on my residence by the IRS for the back taxes.  This was still during the negotiations with the IRS over the installment agreement.  The attorney said that that was an irregular move by the IRS since I was working with them to resolve my tax issue.  I didn't think much of it at the time but that all changed earlier this year with a certain scandal that appears to be afoot in DC.  My installment agreement was finally official in May of 2012 and I have been making regular on time payment ever since last June through the eftps system.  So I have that goin' for me.

The plot thickens......A few years ago an associate of mine talked me into going to a couple Tea Party gatherings here in the Dallas area.  One at Southfork Ranch and then a couple small gatherings in N. Dallas.  I wasn't really into the whole political thing and for all the positive things the TP stand for some of the folks involved are a little "off" if you know what I mean so that didn't really go anywhere.  Problem is that at those few events I attended I provided contact information on a few clipboards that got me on many, many, many mailing and emailing lists.  I know this because it was like the flood gates were opened from Lake Limbaugh and my mailboxes were flooded with solicitations.  It didn't really hit me till all this targeting stuff came out and how all these TP orgs had to submit all their information about who's who's and what and where in order to get their 501C certs.

My questions are.

!.  Is having a lien filed in this matter irregular or is this standard "kick a man when he's down" IRS tactic?

2.  Is the possible Tea Party connection a hypothesis or delusional paranoia?

I have researched the lien on the IRS website and saw that they mention liens being a last resort option only after exhausting other avenues.  I would think being in installment agreement negotiations for a year would NOT be considered a last resort.  I also saw that they will release liens at $25,000 and under.  I'm a little over that with penalties and interest.

I have filled out form 12277 (Application for Withdrawal of Filed Form 668(y), Notice of Federal Tax Lien) with the "The taxpayer entered into an installment agreement to satisfy the liability for which the lien was imposed and the agreement did not provide for a Notice of Federal Tax Lien to be filed" box and provided a brief explanation about the timeline in item 12.

I know the IRS is a little different than Midland Fungus so I don't want to recklessly fire off something to the IRS and end up having Lois Lerner showing up at my house like Janet Reno at a Branch Davidian bbq if you get my drift.  After retaining an attorney for the credit card issue I really can't swing another retainer at this point sooooooooo again any advice or starting point would be helpful.  I have not sent the 12277 form as of yet.  My first step is to contact the IRS tomorrow and simply ask them, albeit extremely politely, to explain their actions with regards to the liens and hope that "pretty please with a cherry on top" is a successful first attempt.  I'm not holding my breath.

To be continued.............

In my experience in dealing with the IRS, I found that there were often several different groups involved in the deal...and they didn't always communicate with one another.  So...its possible that the lieners fired before the negotiaters were ready.

if you've got a deal in place,stick to it...and wait until you get below  the $25k mark to file your request for abatement.

And, stay away for the tea party...

@Rycher67

!.  Is having a lien filed in this matter irregular or is this standard "kick a man when he's down" IRS tactic?

I've heard the IRS is quick to place liens.  So,  not unusual.

2.  Is the possible Tea Party connection a hypothesis or delusional paranoia?

I'm not convinced there would be any connection.  But willing is right, stay away from the Tea Party.  

Well after an hour on hold this morning with 2 different departments I've come to conclusion that this is a classic case of "Ready, Fire, Aim" on the part of the IRS.  Good call Willing.  

I was correct that I will have to submit the form 12277 (Application for Withdrawal of Filed Form 668(y), Notice of Federal Tax Lien) as I mentioned above and send to the the address listed on form 4235 and see if I can get these released based upon the circumstances.  I am leaving out any TP reference and am going with just the dates and facts that I can prove.

If my memory serves me correctly I believe I was lured to the TP events by free beer and food.  I shalt not make that mistake again.  Thanks for the responses.

\m/

• Like 1

If my memory serves me correctly I believe I was lured to the TP events by free beer and food.  I shalt not make that mistake again.  Thanks for the responses.

\m/

I might hang with TP for free beer and food.  It might be entertaining.  

I'm aware of that SO but the 501C applicants had to turn over quite a bit of info to the IRS including membership lists.  If 20 political action groups got my name from a couple events I'm sure the guberment could as well.

From now on I'm going to give my name as Jethro Tull.  :)