Continued Collection Activity

Delta98

Webbank covers many creditors catalog companies and such that do credit online.

The only information they have in their "system" is that the account was opened online by someone with my info using a po box that belongs to a buisness that I have done some work for in the past. The only thing I can think is that a former employee of that company came across information and used it to open an account and have merchandise shipped to the po box. Part of her job was to collect the mail from the po box twice a week so she could have picked up what she ordered and took it home with her .  The owner of the company has been very helpful but has little info on this employee. It appears she used false info on employment app. I just want this thing off my credit report.  

I suppose I have to do that, I have been very reluctant to go that route because I have no proof this person did anything and no information on her whereabouts. Just suspicions. So what do I tell the police? What can I put in a report?

account is a credit account supposedly opened by me somewhere around 07/2012 it is an account with a catalog merchant and Webbank. I never opened any such account.

My CR shows payments made in July, Aug, Sept and Oct. of 2012 - I have never made any payments to this company.

I   contacted the OC to report fraudulent account  05/2013 this is when I first found the account on my credit report.

Make sure you're as certain as you can be before filing an identity theft report. Identity thieves typically do not make payments.

Make sure you're as certain as you can be before filing an identity theft report. Identity thieves typically do not make payments.

I've heard of many cases where identity thieves do make payments. This is generally for accounts they open with stolen identity (as opposed to stolen accounts).  But sometimes even stolen accounts will be paid on to keep them active for a while.  Once they hit the credit/balance limit, then they usually stop and are done with the account.  Usually these payments are using methods that are not so easily tracked back to the source (money orders, etc).

So, ironically, having your CC maxed out makes it unattractive for ID theft.

@nascar - @Torden

But sometimes even stolen accounts will be paid on to keep them active for a while.  Once they hit the credit/balance limit, then they usually stop and are done with the account.  Usually these payments are using methods that are not so easily tracked back to the source (money orders, etc).

I've actually heard of this.  

I called the OC again yesterday afternoon to see what information they had and when I spoke to the rep. she said that what was listed on the CR might not have been payments but only an indication that the account was in a "current" status.This appears to go out to the CRA on an automated type of contact, so not really sure what is listed are payments or not and she could not tell me.

Not sure I have enough info to file a police report, just alot of suspicions.

In the police report, youi don't have to identify WHO did the identity theft...you only have to say that it wasn't you.

You can provide the additional info that the CA is sending letters to a place you used to do business, but you don't actually have to accuse anyone.

(There's a good chance you're not the only one this is beiung done to).

I called the OC again yesterday afternoon to see what information they had and when I spoke to the rep. she said that what was listed on the CR might not have been payments but only an indication that the account was in a "current" status.This appears to go out to the CRA on an automated type of contact, so not really sure what is listed are payments or not and she could not tell me.

Not sure I have enough info to file a police report, just alot of suspicions.

I don't think it hurts to file a police report.  

• Like 1

ya delta98, dont wait run file an identity theft police report.

State your name, your identity info & reasons u believe your identity is stolen?

that should b all u need to provide to file a identity report.

They will take it from there. Get a police report# and send a copy to all CRA's.