CA Verification, need help understanding if they are legal

sawyersdada

Greetings,

So, I did a search on the www.registeredagentinfo.com website for a CA that has posted a collection on my CRs. I could not find them listed in the registered list.

Next, I looked at the information for Washington State (where we lived at the time), and these are the rules. Note that I am speaking about Robinson, Reagan, and Young (maybe you've heard of them):

Bond: $6,000 general, $4,000 specialty
License: Yes
Fee: $100 – Investigation; $100 – Original; $100 – Renewable; $50 - Branch Office
Exemption for out-of-state collectors: Contact state authorities. Out-of-state agencies may qualify for lesser licensing
fees. Out-of-state collectors are no longer required to have resident office and in-state trust accounts if they don't have
in-state client. Bond is not required if held in home state.

The rules seem vague about out of state collection agencies operating in the State of Washington. Are they acting illegally? Or do I need to call the state to find out?

Thanks!

You could try and send them a DV? Robinson, regan, and young are a law firm who takes a case, then does a little skip tracing then hires a local attorney to file suit for them. Seems like I read somewhere special rules for a law firm hired, and then assigns another to collect. There was something about special rules they had to follow, but I can't remember. ( and I have had a glass of wine so wouldn't do me any good to research it right now lol.

• Like 2

They didn't do anything beyond posting something to our credit report. I never received any mail from them. They just magically showed up.The amount is less than $150, so it's obviously a waste of their time.

Glass of wine = happiness, so go girl go :)

From what I can tell, it's a bill that got mixed up in a business transfer during our BK. It's not ours, but it's not the interim owner's either. It was a mixup in billing with a lot of grey area.

• Like 1

Bond: $6,000 general, $4,000 specialty
License: Yes
Fee: $100 – Investigation; $100 – Original; $100 – Renewable; $50 - Branch Office
Exemption for out-of-state collectors: Contact state authorities. Out-of-state agencies may qualify for lesser licensing
fees. Out-of-state collectors are no longer required to have resident office and in-state trust accounts if they don't have
in-state client. Bond is not required if held in home state.

@sawyersdada - sounds to me like they still need to be licensed.  

OK. But, if they're not licensed to collect in the state, then should they even be reporting anything?

As BV80 states:  reporting and collecting are two different things.  Nothing in the FCRA requires the CA be licensed in order to report the debt on a CR.  It only requires the information be accurate.