Gurstel Chargo/Asset Acceptance MN

DaBrks

A little history...In March I was laid off, the next day I was served by Gurstel Chargo for Unifund. At that time I had the means to pay an attorney to draft answer, affirmative defense etc. I also enclosed a letter stating I was unemployed and they couldn't garnish by Mn statues. I have not heard a whisper about it since. Fast forward to August 13th. I am again served by Gurstel Chargo but for a different debt with Asset Acceptance. I no longer have the money to pay the attorney so I took the original documents and changed this information and sent it CMRR last Thursday. To my surprise I received a letter today requesting proof that I was unemployed. I printed out my statements from the unemployment office (they said either that or bank statements) and enclosed a letter letting them know my benefits expire on Oct. 3rd and I am not eligible for an extension. Is this the right move?

Sounds like you have depleted your savings and really have nothing attachable. They will probably halt the process for the time being. In the meantime, I would take the free time and read up on civil procedure in Minnesota and why JDBs can be beaten. It is not a hard process and not as time consuming as you think. Better to go on the offensive and stop them in their tracks rather than be defensive and have to keep beating them back.

Simply do a search for Pocket Docket and Minnesota. There is more than enough information on this board to get you started. The best answer is an outright denial and making them prove that you really owe the debt.