Recieved Pre-Legal Notification from MCM (HSBC Debt)

elmatero

I recieved a letter a few days ago from Midland Credit Management

It states "This letter is to inform you that we are considering fowarding this account to an attorney in your state for possible litigation. Upon reciept of this notice, please call 800-939-2353 immediatley to discuss your options. If we dont hear from you or recieve payment by 9-23-2013,we may proceed with fowarding this account to an attorney.

This is from a old HSBC debt i had incurred in 2009. What course of action should i take at this point. The debt is approx $4500 right now.

Do a search in the credit or collections forum and you can find an example of a debt validation letter. Send it to them certified mail return receipt requested. In turn they have to send you information on who owns the debt, who the original creditor was, balance owed, before they can take further action on collecting. That includes suing you.