Mortgage Lendor Pulled Credit Twice for Pre-Approval

bballseth

I applied for a pre-approval through Ameris Bank in July for a new construction builder. Went through the entire process and had them pull my credit. Two of the three reports came back and the Transunion came back invalid because the lendor put my social security number in wrong. I told the lendor at that meeting that it was ok to pull right then and there to fix it since they pulled it the night before, and told them that I did not want them to pull again after the 14 day mark. Since it was a preapproval they assured me that it was fine and they didn't need the last one to approve the loan. A few days later I talked to the lady and said everything was fine and good. Over thirty days later I get mail from them stating they ran my credit again and pulled all three credit scores again. This time one of my key factors affecting scores was too many inquiries...... What can I do to have them remove the last inquiry because I did not authorize them to pull my credit again, especially for all three credit unions. Any help would be so great during this stressful time for home buying.

If the bank that turned you down for too many inquiries is the same bank you applied to for pre-approval, they should know that.

On the other hand, you should probably go to www.annualcreditreport.com and get FREE copies of each of your reports from the 3 credit reporting bureaus.  If you've had credit problems in the past, its possible that one of those "problems" was notified that you applied for new credit (yes, the CRAs do that) and pulled your reports to poison your efforts.

To answer everyones post in one I'll reply with each line per person.

My credit score was 785 and 765 the first pull. I had applied for a mortgage in June and then had to get out of that contract since the builder could not get their permits.

@TomnTex - This is only for the preapproval. They are going to pull my credit again two more times. Once in a few months to lock my interest rate, and then a second time to make sure I haven't bought anyhing. That means they will have pulled my credit a total of 4 times all outside of 30 days of each other. Meaning my credit will show 4 separate hard inquiries.

@BigSister - It was just outside of 30 days that they ran all three again without my permission. If it was on the 30 day mark the two pulls would group together still?