Not Sure of SOL.....

Ansback

Another subject from me, hope this is in the right forum.

I have another bill on my credit report, and not quite sure how to go about this.

I have a medical bill, from 7/2007, for emergency room and hospital stay. (I have Medicare) Looking at the old statement, dated 8/2010, no payments on it since 2007. A debt collector has it on my credit report opened as 9/2010.

I am not sure what the SOL would be on this? I am assuming it is past SOL according to the medical statements. There are no payments from Medicare after 2007, as far as I know. Would the SOL be what the debt collector has for opening or would it be according to the debt collector?

A second question, if it is past the SOL, and I make arrangements to pay on it, would that start a new SOL with the debt collector?  I can't pay it off with a lump sum, and the monthly payments would have to be pretty small, since I am on social security. Should I write a letter to the debt collector stating I think it is SOL or should I send a letter asking for validation? As far as I know I have never received a letter from the debt collector.

Thank you all again you have been helpful on my other subject here.

The new opening date is just the collector who bought it, that is when they bought it, so the new date.  The old sol still applies.  what month in 2007? MI's sol is 6 years, although it might be less for a contract, I haven't looked it up.  If you pay on it, yes, sol starts all over again.  If they didn't send you a letter, then they don't have to validate the debt.  You could dispute it with the reporting agencies, and see if it comes back as verified, but do it in writing, not online.

Don't pay it's SOL if Michigan SOL is 6 years, and it should fall off your credit on 7/2014, 7 years mark. At this point with that debt just relax let it seat there and in oct-nov 2014 check your credit again if it's still there, dispute it as obsolete all disputes do them via cmrr (certified mail return receipt), if they don't delete then next step is inviting them to court.

From Michigan, the SOL is 6yrs.

Thank you for your input. I never paid on the bill and don't know when Medicare paid on it, but according to the one statement I have says service provided in July 2007, and it shows Medicare payments in July 2007, and don't see any other payments.

I was thinking I know it is my debt, and I am just now getting where I could make SMALL monthly payments on it, and I would like to take care of the debt.

But by paying on it, I would hate for it to stay on my credit report for another 7 yrs.

I have not gotten anything from debt collector, only from the medical provider, and that was dated 2010, stating it was past due.

I am just trying to clean up the few things on my credit report, know it is late but thought better late than never. I know I'm close to a few things almost sol and like a year for them to come off credit report.

Thank you again for suggestions and help

From Michigan, the SOL is 6yrs.

Thank you for your input. I never paid on the bill and don't know when Medicare paid on it, but according to the one statement I have says service provided in July 2007, and it shows Medicare payments in July 2007, and don't see any other payments.

I was thinking I know it is my debt, and I am just now getting where I could make SMALL monthly payments on it, and I would like to take care of the debt.

But by paying on it, I would hate for it to stay on my credit report for another 7 yrs.

I have not gotten anything from debt collector, only from the medical provider, and that was dated 2010, stating it was past due.

I am just trying to clean up the few things on my credit report, know it is late but thought better late than never. I know I'm close to a few things almost sol and like a year for them to come off credit report.

Thank you again for suggestions and help

@Ansback - if you pay it, it won't stay on your credit report any longer.  You could reset the SOL, though.