Paid Judgement in Illinois = Vacated

pr4213

In the past, I had a small judgement against me that I ignored for years. I ignored the summons, ignored the judgement, and ignored the calls for payment. 3 years later, realizing the effect the judgement had (and for such a small amount ~$500), I contacted the attorney office that originally won the suit and arranged payment (+interest allowed by law  xhitwallx ). Judgement vacated and off my credit reports.

Every state has different laws, and I found a lot of info that doesn't apply to Illinois when I was considering paying this, so I figured I'd post my findings in case someone else is in the same situation:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=073500050K12-183

(735 ILCS 5/12-183) (from Ch. 110, par. 12-183)

Sec. 12-183. Release of judgment.
    (a) Every judgment creditor, his or her assignee of record or other legal representative having received full satisfaction or payment of all such sums of money as are really due to him or her from the judgment debtor on any judgment rendered in a court shall, at the request of the judgment debtor or his or her legal representative, execute and deliver to the judgment debtor or his or her legal representative an instrument in writing releasing such judgment.

(h) Upon the filing of a release or satisfaction in full satisfaction of judgment, signed by the party in whose favor the judgment was entered or his or her attorney, the court shall vacate the judgment, and dismiss the action.

Once you pay an Illinois judgement, the creditor should file their satisfaction with the court. Once that is signed off by the judge, the judgement is vacated and you'll be able to successfully dispute with the CRAs to get it off your credit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

it does not vacate the judgement, it just releases you from responsibility of the judgment

(h) Upon the filing of a release or satisfaction in full satisfaction of judgment, signed by the party in whose favor the judgment was entered or his or her attorney, the court shall vacate the judgment, and dismiss the action.

Once you pay, the other party is obligated to file a release. That releases you from responsibility. Once you file that release in court, the law is that the court has to vacate the judgement, and dismiss the case.