Debtor won't communicate with me

Bridget

My husband and I had a very difficult year in 2012/early 2013.  He was laid off, and we got several months behind on everything.  Keeping our home and groceries had to be our first priority, followed by keeping our utilities on.  In April, husband went back to work and we began giving everyone a payment and gradually getting caught up.  We are now caught up on all our bills except one.  This credit card company stopped sending us a bill when we were about five months behind, which is right about when we began making payments again.  We should now be close to caught up with them, but we receive no bills and no statements.  They continue to cash my checks.  Twice, I have requested that they send us a statement.  The last time, I threatened not to pay this anymore if they don't.  I heard nothing.  I was hoping to keep our communication through correspondence because when we got our phone service back, we got new phone numbers and, quite frankly, I didn't want them to have those since we aren't quite paid up to date yet.  I was afraid the harrassment would begin.  Today, I finally bit the bullet and called them and a recording let me know that this debt has been sold and it gave me a number to call for information.  So, I am wondering whether I should call it and explain and try to work this out, or wait for them to eventually contact me?  Is there any chance that this has just been written off and we won't hear anything?  Doubt if we could be that lucky.  Help!!  Thanks.

@Bridget - my first suggestion would be get all of your credit reports to see what is being reported.  It will also show the info for that account.

Since this was sold to a CA, you will more than likely hear from them via phone or mail.  Once you do, I would send them a debt validation letter.  If you have not done so already, read this article on our site.  http://www.creditinfocenter.com/debt/settle_debts.shtml   It will take you step by step on how to deal with CA's.

Hope that help!

• Like 1

@Bridget

Just an FYI, you are the debtor.  The credit card company is the creditor.

@lionhunter gave you a good suggestion.  See what's on your credit report.

If the account has been sold, somewhere on your CR will be "sold" or "transferred".  If you don't see those words, then the creditor probably still owns the account.   Even if it's been charged off, as long as it hasn't been sold, you can still deal with the OC. 

If it hasn't been sold, I'd give them a call to check the status of the account.

And...since the original creditor has been cashing your checks, if you have any doubts as to whether its been sold...call the original creditor again.  I asume an automated system answers the phone and asks for yo to enter your account number.

Don't.

Wait to talk to a live person...you may have to enter 0...or press the pound key...or just keep pressing *...to get thru.

If it were me,I'd tell the live person that it is my personal policy NOT to deal with CAs or JDBs, and if they want their money they'll deal with me directly, or take me to court and we'll let the judge decide.

(Just so you know...paying off a JDB will not help your credit rating).