Received collection letters for the same debt by two different agencies

Velociraptors

I received a collection letter in 2012 from First National Collection Bureau and ignored it. Fast forward to this year and I received a collection letter from Second Round LP for the same debt at at 1/4 of the amount that First National was attempting to collect.

This debt was from 2006. I haven't responded to Second Round because I've been reading that opening up communication with them starts the clock over. Is this true?

I do know it is from the original creditor but I don't see any negatives on my CR that would correspond with this debt so I believe it may have passed the SOL.

I don't mind paying this debt off but I don't want to be bringing harm to myself by reopening this case if it's been shut so to speak.

Any input you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

No! It doesn't only promising to pay in writing or making a payment on the old debt will reset the SOL. You need to DV them both, you might just say, "Oh, another JDB is claiming to own this, you may need to get in line". LOL, this will really get them concerned because only one can legally own your debt at a time. Do a lot of reading and research on this board, you will learn.

• Like 1

You received the letter from one agency last year, the debt was probably already time barred, so it was sold off to another. Second round should be renamed to 5 round lol as all they ever get is debt that is zombie.

Send them a letter that says you refuse to pay this debt, do not contact me again concerning this debt. If they contact you for reasons other than to say ok we won't contact you, then they have violated the FDCPA and can be sued.

• Like 1

Thank you Shellieh and TomnTex for your quick replies. This website is great I'm so glad I found it!

As far as sending them a letter saying that I refuse to pay this debt, is Second Round LP really known as a collector that purchases debt that is old? If I send them a DV letter will this not cause any harm to my CR or open them to release the dogs to me? 

Yes they are known for that. Did their letter state anything near the bottom that it is past the sol, and we will not sue?

That statement is required by some but not all collection agencies, I do not know if they are included.

Yes you can and should send a DV, when they send it back validated, then you can send a refusal to pay. It should not hurt your credit, it appears it is outside the reporting limits.

Most likely these are JDBs, the first sold it, and the second bought it (dirt cheap).

What to do depends on what you want to accomplish.  But in the hands of JDBs, I recommend to not even think of paying it off.  Send a DV if it is within 30 days of receiving the collection letter.  Otherwise if you don't want to hear from them again, send a cease communication / refusal to pay letter.  Ignoring it doesn't hurt, but there are these things you can do to end it.

• Like 1

Torden thanks for your reply. It is not within the 30 days of receiving. I was 1 second away from paying it online but then I decided to do a little more research and came upon this website. I know you can't believe everything that you read on the internet from total strangers but y'all have given me valuable information to inform myself further on these issues. Thanks!

Torden thanks for your reply. It is not within the 30 days of receiving. I was 1 second away from paying it online but then I decided to do a little more research and came upon this website. I know you can't believe everything that you read on the internet from total strangers but y'all have given me valuable information to inform myself further on these issues. Thanks!

You will find this forum to be VERY helpful.....they are not lawyers, they are just trying to help others with the info that they have gained from experience

Past 30 days, the DV won't hold them to anything.  You can still send a dispute letter at any time and they will have to report that the account is in dispute on any tradeline they put on your CR ... if they can this many years out.  You can send a CC/RTP/C&D letter to stop them sending letters or calling.  But even that is optional (I rarely do because such communications from collectors/JDBs never bother me).  If the Second Round offer is 25% then even they know it is junk debt (probably bought it at 2% to 3%).  Still, some collectors will try tricks to get a DJ on it.  I personally would just do nothing with this at this point.  They are likely expecting a low response rate at 7 years out.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not uncommon for collection agencies to sell debts, uncollected debts to other collection agencies. Only by law can one collection agency report the debt. So first of all make sure that the debt is only being reported once. The second thing that you want to do, is that you want to make sure that you validate the debt. You can Google debt validation ad use a generic debt validation letter, it doesn't have to be fancy, and request validation of the debt. They have to be able to validate the debt before they can report it. The fact that the debt is from 2006, it is not having much of an impact, even if it's deleted, it is not going to cause your score to go up very much. Because the more recent the information the more it hurts your credit score. If you correspond with them or respond too them, it does not restart the date. That date is always going to be in 2006. However, sometimes collection agencies will update the date of the last activity which is illegal, they cannot do that. Research the laws in your state, both before you pay anything or even consider to it, send a validation letter, if they do not respond with proper validation – follow up and tell them that you are going to file a compliant with the attorney general in your state, If they do no provide proper validation or delete it from your credit file.