NiaW

How many letters? Beginning credit repair journey

Hello all! Newbie here! Just beginning my credit repair journey. This is literally day 1.  I have read most of the newbie posts and spent a lot of time reading some of the posts. However, I didn't see a clear answer to the letters subject. 

I have about 22-23 negative items on my credit reports from experian and transunion. I just requested credit reports from all 3 CRA'S yesterday because I recently got denied for credit and the 2 I have now are from June of this year. So I'm waiting on the recent ones to come in the mail. 

My question is, because I have so many negative items, what's the best way to go about grouping the letters? I saw a post that said 3-4 letters per month? Is that correct? I think it would be over doing it to send all 22-23 negative items in one letter to experian, then transunion, etc. So should I do one letter for each negative item and only do 3-4 per month to each CRA? Or should I do a group of 3-4 items in one letter to each CRA? I'm not exactly sure how often and how many? 

Then I was also confused because in one of the newbie posts it said we can call the CRA. I think i'm more comfortable with letters but I just wanted to know the best way to go about that. As far as grouping or timing between letters. Thanks so much for the help! And I apologize if this has already been addressed. I tried searching and couldn't find the answer.

First, if it isn't in writing, it didn't happen.  If you only have one or two things to dispute, and it is something that is obviouusly an error, a phone may work...but..if you dispute in writing you have proof.

Second, you can send a letter covering several related items...but remember that the minimum wage data entry people have limited time to enter your disputes in the computer systems...limit your letters to  2-4 items at a time.

Third, if you're disputing something that you may wind up in court over...put it in a separate letter.  No since in letting the other side know about other disputes.

Fourth, as far a timing...hard to predict.  If you would send 22 separate letters, its unlikely that anyone would notice.  However, the CRAs computer systems may have an automatic flag.  Best you can do is group like things together and avoid overloading the data entry clerk.

I must respectfully disagree with the previous response.

It is NEVER a good idea to speak to the bureaus on the phone about information you want deleted.

It is ALWAYS better to send one comprehensive letter to each bureau regarding all info you want deleted the first time out.

If not you risk future letters being ignore as "Frivilous or Irrelevent".

Send certified mail return receipt requested or do it on their web sites but be careful of using their multiple choice options for reasons to delete.

Be patient. Be persistant and you'll have success.

When you get the new reports (post investigation) sent to you that's when the game really begins because that's when you find out which companies are going to fight and which are not.

Step 2 can be discussed here when that time comes if you like.

Regards,

Oh, I agree...its never a good idea to talk with a CRA on the phone...but, there have been reports on the forum here from people who claim to have done it with success.

As far as putting 22 disputes in a single letter, you'll be lucky if the data entry person gets the first 6 entered.  Yes, you'll have written proof that you sent  in 22 disputes, but you'll have to sue to make the CRAs care.

Yeah, I think I like the idea of putting 3-4 items together per letter. Because I was reading in one of the topics that if you send several items in one letter, they could easily say that they "missed" one of the items in the letter. Announcing that 22 items are "not mine" might be a bit much. 

@willingtocope what are you referring to when you say "disputing something I may wind up in court over"?

@NiaW  I mean if the item is absolutely not yours or lists a creditor you do not recognize you may have to wind up suing in order to get it removed.  And, IMO anyway, this applies to ANY Junk Debt Buyer who may be on your reports...they seldom have enough information to prove the debt is yours.

@NiaW  I mean if the item is absolutely not yours or lists a creditor you do not recognize you may have to wind up suing in order to get it removed.  And, IMO anyway, this applies to ANY Junk Debt Buyer who may be on your reports...they seldom have enough information to prove the debt is yours.

Oooooh ok. I get what you're saying. Well, hopefully it doesn't go that far. And I actually did discover a couple of accounts that aren't mine. We will see what the more recent credit reports look like. I will start my letters when I get those this week. Thank you guys so much for the info!! This forum is a blessing! I will definitely be posting updates on my progress.

I got 4 negative items deleted off my transunion report!! Experian wrote me back and said I needed more information in the dispute letter like my social security number and a utility bill.  :waah: So I'm sending them the same letter with the added info.