Paying with credit card

Miodio

I have no cash and I want the collection to be over. So I am going to pay in full by a credit card. How can i be sure that they won't charge more than I own? Will they charge "interest" or other charges I don't know about? Will the credit card statement serve as a proof that I paid in full and they leave me alone?

Thank you.

willingtocope, thank you for your response. Yes, this is collection agency. But what should I do ??? 

They have a website and there is an option for payment with a credit card, so you are saying this would be a wrong thing to do? So what is the right thing? 

If you're sure you really owe the original creditor the money the CA is claiming, call the OC and offer to pay them directly.  Although getting an advance on one credit card to pay another creditor is not the best idea, its better than puttting your credit card number into some CA web site.  Again, you cannot trust them...period.

Yes, I am sure I own the money to the OC, it is my dentist. I was planning to pay him but then my situation changed (plus he charged more than I expected, plus the device he sold to me is poorly made and I cannot use it...:((  But now, when the bill is in the collection, can I still pay to the OC??? If I understand right, he has sold the debt to the CA and does not own it any more?

I'm a newbie too, these guys are right, you do not really want to pay a collection agency with a credit card.

How long ago was it when you acquired the debt?

Do you remember when you last paid on it?

Have you checked out your credit reports to check for accuracy?

These collection agencies are bottom feeders, they buy old debts for pennies on the dollars, and than try to collect top dollar. I had one that tried to collect almost $800. for a debt that I wasn't sure was mine, but went into collections for less than $200. They probably paid $20. or less for it, and more likely less.  I sent a letter for validation took the colletion agency 9 months to answer and still wasn't sure if it was mine. I am still fighting whether it is mine or not.

The more info you can give the better the advice you will get from these boards, they are really great at helping and trying to direct you in the right direction. There is a lot of experience here, think better than some legal advice you might get.

I do not have any legal training just giving you something to think about.

Walk into your dentist office and offer to pay them and try and get a delete on your TL. Like Willing said, "DO NOT PAY A CA OR JDB". That would be very foolish actually, excuse my choice of words. Stupid to do. Either pay the Dr.'s office direct or not at all. Read on here, learn, you will see why we say that.

AnsbackTomnTex, Thank you very much.

It is very difficult for me. I always pay my bills in time and do all the right things. I have an anxiety disorder and sleep disorder that make my life almost unbearable. I always try to have minimum contacts with the world, so this situation is very unusual and stressful. So I realize I maybe behave foolishly.

I am reading this and several other sites for a couple of weeks, but it is difficult to understand what pertains to my situation and what doesn't... In two days the 30 days since receiving the letter will be over.... 

Is it possible to find out if the debt was actually sold to the CA? In their letter they state: "CA" has been retained by .. DDS to collect in full the above referenced delinquent obligation.

Does it mean they were just hired to collect the debt, or they actually bought the debt and it was written off by the OC? I have read, that if the debt was sold and written of by the OC, they may accept the payment, but will not work with the CA to resolve and I may end up still owning the CA! 

The debt is one year old.

It is probably a regular dunning letter:

Dear Sir,

We are JDB and we are attempting to collect a debt, the orginal creditor was John Doe.

You owe us this amount XXXXXX

You have thirty days to reply to this letter, if not we will take it that it is your debt and you owe us .

At the bottom will be they are attempting to collect a debt.

Something similar to that correct?

You really need to check your credit reports. That will tell you if the dentist sold the debt or not. When you opened the account, when you missed your first payment, and when it was charged off, transferred to the collection agency, or sold.  It could be a collection agency that just collects medical bills. You can get free credit reports online from annual credit report.

@Ansback, yes, exactly, that is the letter, so you think the wording does not matter? I checked credit reports from 2 credit bureaus, there are no derogatory marks, no mention about collection. What does this mean? They did not buy the debt, or they just did not report it to the credit bureaus yet? Sorry if this sounds silly...

I think the dentist office hired them to collect. I would go to the dentist office and pay them directly. If they sold the debt, they will not be able to take payment. Just an FYI, most medical go into collections, but they usually don't sell the debt. They will give the collection agency an assignment to sue you for it though.

Thank you @shellieh98.. I am thinking would this be OK, if I call the dentist office? I am such a mess now and I really don't want to go there...

I thought they can get nothing from me, because I have nothing. I have no job, no income and no assets.. But now I think they could go after my disabled son somehow?? I live with my son, he works as a programmer, but his salary is rather low for this job. I don't know if this is because of bad economy or because he cannot negotiate, but he does not earn much. He supports me, and I feel really guilty that I cannot provide for myself.

I manage his money because he cannot communicate with people. Usually I transfer his money to my account and pay all the bills, and the rest of spending goes to my credit cards, which I also pay with his money.... So it looks like I have all this money!!! So I think, if they sue me, they will dig all my accounts and it will affect my son? Gosh, this would be a disaster, his health is so fragile and he has nothing to do with my debt..:((

I totally agree with TomTex and Shellieh98, do  not keep your son's money in your account.

The letter is what all collection agencies send out, to try and collect money. Did it say any thing about taking you to court or suing you?  Or just it was attempt to collect on a debt? I don't know but it might depend on the amount of the debt as to what degree they would go to collect. The larger the amount the more they will go after you.

(I had two really small bills, both were under $100., that went to collection after being hospitalized, and I did pay them after a considerable amount of time and they were never on my credit report. I paid them after about two years and I sent the money to the original creditor, even tho a collection agency had them. This all happened before I found this forum.)

I really am ignorant on how this works but have learned a lot from these boards, and just saying what happened to me. I haven't had large bills, small amounts ( under $500.) and I don't know if that makes a difference. Am still working on a few bills and dealing with them with the info I have gotten here.

Thank you guys for all the advises. I will take my name off my son's accounts. There are no money to collect, but I don't want him to be involved in any of this.

@Ansback, so you paid your bills to the original creditor, but the collection agency still wanted you to pay them? Thats bad... Or maybe you meant your other bills, that you weren't sure were even yours... 

I am going to call the dentist office now, I don't know what to say and afraid i will do something wrong. But there no time left, so wish me luck:)

Well, I called and the receptionist said that I can pay by phone and she will send me a receipt, and notify the collection agency that I paid in full... Do you think it is right thing to do? Now I am really scared, because from the reading of the forum I see there are so many ways it could go wrong. 

Should I pay by the phone? Or should I go there and get receipt? Don't see how it would make a difference...

@MiodioAnsback so you paid your bills to the original creditor, but the collection age

ncy still wanted you to pay them? Thats bad... Or maybe you meant your other bills, that you weren't sure were even yours.

Sorry I was unclear, they were two different medical bills, the original creditor never had it on credit report, and I paid them like two years later. Had got a dunning letter from the collection agency, but I sent money to the orignal creditor. For what ever reason, or if I was just lucky they were never on credit report.

When ever you need help with debts, these members are really good about helping and giving you their personal experiences. 

I'm working on a debt here that I have gotten a lot of good advice.  Sometimes I just ask questions, aout a debt and they have given me good advise.

Good luck with the dentist.

I went to the office yesterday and paid, and got printed receipt... Hope it is the end of story and the CA will not contact me anymore.

Don't know what would I do if I didn't find this forum, this past week was a real herve breaking hell. I wish everyone to be strong and win your battles, and thank you again for your help!

You may need to send a COPY of that printed receipt to the CA to convince them there is no more debt.  When doing that, be sure to send it CMRRR so they cannot claim it was never sent.

You may need to dispute this through a CRA at some point if the debt shows up there.  If the CA confirms it to the CRA as a valid debt, after they have received that copy of your receipt with your letter that tells them you do not owe any such debt, then they will have violated, and you could sue them.

A lot of people have troubles like this when they encounter bad debt collector (CAs or JDBs) or even just bad businesses (OCs).  Be sure to let all your friends know about this web site, even if they currently have no problems.