What to include with letters of dispute

vision2014

OK, I know I read threads about this here before, but now i can't find them.  Fogive me if this is repeated information, or direct me to where to find it, please.

I am starting my letter writing campaigns, and will be sending off 2 letters at the end of this week.  Do I need to include the SSN and DOB in the letter?  Should I include a copy of driver's license and SSN card with the letters?  Sending SSN info through the mail is a bit scary to me, but if necessary to get rid of this stuff and be able to buy a new car and home, then I will do it.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

You have no reason to send in your SSN unless they have it on the record incorrectly.  If they have both the correct one and the incorrect one, tell them which is correct.  If they only have an incorrect one, you may be getting the wrong report.  Tell them your correct number.  Of course you need need to send in your SSN to ask for a report, and they may want to see that you are sending the SSN just to verify that you are you (which this does not, but CRAs are full of people that do not understand things like security and authentication).

• 2 weeks later...

@BV80, yes I am talking about credit bureau dispute letters.  My apologies for not specifying that in my original post.  When writing the letters, should I include in them the SSN for them to reference the correct report?  Also, the state DL, do i need to enclose a copy for ID purposes, or is that just for when you are requesting a copy of a report?

• 2 weeks later...

I always include a copy of my phone bill and a copy of my DLers. I also put my SS number in the letter so they have that to look up my account with.  I will say I've forgotten the SS number before and the only of the three to not start a dispute because of it was Equifax. That said I'd save yourself time and money and not take the chance and just include the number.

I have a question that fits in with this topic.  I have always included a copy of my DL and my SS# with disputes I have sent as well as a copy of one of my student loan bills as proof of ID.  Now the CRAs are refusing to take the copy of my student loan bill and are demanding a copy of a utility bill.  All of the utility bills come in my husband's name (I moved in with him when we got married).  What can I send them now to get them to process my requests for reinvestigation?

• 2 months later...