Letter From a Gym

writeratheart

Hey all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I took a shot and picked here. :) 

I signed up for a gym membership last year to help my sister in a contest she'd entered. I went on and off for a month or so, but I'm not really a gym person (I work out at home), so I asked that my membership be cancelled. I didn't hear anything about it after that, so it basically got pushed to a far corner of my memory.

Yesterday, I got a letter in the mail saying that their records show my "membership payment" is overdue. They counted the months of August 2012-October 2013. On top of that, they're charging $12.00 per month for each past due month, which raised the amount due by about $200. 

Now, even if they did not cancel my membership as soon as I requested it, the contract was for one year, so they should not have charged me past August 2013 - if at all. (And actually, August wasn't my starting month, so they've gone over that one year by a few months.)

They're giving me 7 days to respond, and they've marked this as a "Final Notice". They have sent me NO notifications prior to this. I had no way of knowing I was "overdue". 

Tips, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I need to include more information.

Thank you!!

Hey all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I took a shot and picked here. :-)

I signed up for a gym membership last year to help my sister in a contest she'd entered. I went on and off for a month or so, but I'm not really a gym person (I work out at home), so I asked that my membership be cancelled. I didn't hear anything about it after that, so it basically got pushed to a far corner of my memory.

Did you send them a letter in writing or speak to Jill at the desk and verbally ask her to cancel?  Most of these health club memberships require that you request it in writing to be effective.  That may be the first problem.

Now, even if they did not cancel my membership as soon as I requested it, the contract was for one year, so they should not have charged me past August 2013 - if at all. (And actually, August wasn't my starting month, so they've gone over that one year by a few months.)

The second problem with these contracts is that even though they tell you they are for one year what they DON'T tell you is that if you don't cancel the darn thing it renews or at least they keep billing you month to month.  This is where as nascar said you need to check your state laws to find out if you have any options or protections there.  This is but one deceptive billing practice they have used.

They're giving me 7 days to respond, and they've marked this as a "Final Notice". They have sent me NO notifications prior to this. I had no way of knowing I was "overdue". 

Tips, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I need to include more information.

Not unusual for them to wait until it has racked up more debt to suddenly demand payment.  I would respond in writing CMRR stating that you dispute the debt and on XX-XX-2012 I cancelled this membership and any dues after that date are no longer payable or due as well as associated late fees for a membership that no longer existed.  I would also tell them that all contact must be in writing.  Then see what their response is.