CN2Ride

Midland Suit dismissed with Prejudice now bill from Clerk of Court Louisiana

A few months ago with the help of many members of this forum, I (we) were able to step on their neck until they dismissed with Prejudice in exchange for us not suing them for FDCPA violations.   Today I received a bill in the mail from my Parish Clerk of Court for $300 (Court Costs).  Am I liable for this?   Shouldn't Midland and their attorneys have to pay this?  

I didn't file any motions.  I filed the an original answer, responses to their discovery, and my own discovery for them.  When filing those documents I paid per page to the Clerk of Court.  Midland and their attorneys filed in the wrong venue which is what motivated them to dismiss.   Maybe the clerk just sends the bill to both parties?   Should I contact Midland's attorney and send them the bill?  

Check your credit agreement and see what it says.

Example this is in the Citibank credit agreement.

If you do not pay us as required by this Agreement, we may incur collection costs. You promise to pay all collection costs, including reasonable outside attorney’s fees and court costs we incur in collecting this Account to the extent permitted by law. We can bill these costs to your Account.

But if the case was dismissed, can Citibank charge the court fees since no judgement was issued. There is no determination that one is bound by that agreement.

If the case was filed in the wrong venue, you've got an FDCPA claim - I'd file on Monday morning... 

You will have to file with the court your judgment of dismissal and probably submit a Court Order for the Judge to sign. Include a copy of the dismissal documents with your request for court order. You will then be allowed to file your cost bill for all the filing expenses and costs you accrued defending this lawsuit.

HP