Midland, Midland Oh What to do about Midland.

mopman64

Howdy, Howdy, Howdy all.

I had a Dell act that went south on me when I lost my job.  

So it was handed over to Midland, they did the usual sent a dunning and I never answered(my fault).  

They then sent me to a law firm in NJ( name with held as I don't know who reads these boards) and the firm sent the usual (we will sue you if type of letter).  

Well this time I sent a dv with elect arb (Dell has a great arb clause) and the law firm never answered.  Then one day I get a letter from the law form saying Midland is willing to make me an offer of xxx if I pay the law firm, I did not respond and have not heard from them (law firm) since.

Today I receive a letter direct from Midland offering me a deal (which is a joke), if you pay this much, or if you pay this much then you can save this much or if you can't pay to give them a call. Yeah sure.  

So if I understand this, the law firm kicked it back to Midland, I guess as uncollectible.  So now they are trying again. 

What should I do?  Should I just wait it out?  I don't have the money and the interest they are asking is a joke and I know Midland maybe paid 10 bucks for this if that.

What should I do?  Should I just wait it out?  I don't have the money and the interest they are asking is a joke and I know Midland maybe paid 10 bucks for this if that.

You say the interest they are asking is a joke. Did the balance seem to balloon overnight? Does it appear Midland is charging you at a higher rate than Dell? That may well be the case. If so, you may have a 1692f(1) violation.

• Like 1

Make sure and keep all letters they send you including the envelopes. Keep any messages they leave you on your answering machine/voice mail saved in a safe place. Take the advice from the two posters above and talk with an experienced FDCPA attorney. The interest charges are a great place to start. Then ask the attorney about any possible post charge off interest.

Asset Acceptance got busted this year for doing this in Michigan. Midland now owns AA and the odds are they may be guilty of the same. 

McDonald v. Asset Acceptance, LLC, 2013 WL 4028947 (E.D.Mich. Aug. 7, 2013)

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2013/10/16/how-much-can-collectors-legally-boost-charged-off-debts/