CA refuses to respond to PFD letter in writing.

goodluck

Hello,

I am in Philly, PA. The collections agency (Lancaster, PA) I have to deal with agreed to delete the information from credit reports. However, they refuse to provide anything in writing. They say that they've been taken advantage of before (which makes no sense to me), and that they don't send anything out before they receive the payment. Oral  agreement just doesn't cut it. I was given the manager's direct phone number. I wanted to ask you what I could say to get them to send a written agreement to delete the record once they receive my payment. Also, if they continue refusing, can I use a recording of the phone call for future dispute?

Thank you so much!

This is a primary reason I always tell people to only deal with CAs and JDBs in writing.  You write to them, and their answer must be in writing.  Don't answer phone calls from them, or say the person they are calling for is not available (never suggest calling back but if they suggest that they will, suggest back that they are wasting their time).  Force the communication in writing.

Some people might accept that a recorded phone call will work.  It might.  But it is weaker evidence than what would be in writing.  It's easier to make fake phone call recordings than to fake the paper, ink, fingerprints, that they use in written communications.

If they refuse to give you an address to write to the first time they call, then tell them that's what scammers do and hang up ASAP.

The way I resolved this is I mailed my offer of settlement letter along with two copies of my signed settlement offer (which included language stating they would delete, not sell the remainder, the rest was in dispute etc.) and that if they agreed to simply sign an enclosed copy and return it to me and keep one for their records.  My letter and agreement also included language that stated once I received it they would have payment within 14 days.  I have done it with 3 debts that I knew were mine and all 3 accepted and did delete within 3 days of receiving payment.  

The way I resolved this is I mailed my offer of settlement letter along with two copies of my signed settlement offer (which included language stating they would delete, not sell the remainder, the rest was in dispute etc.) and that if they agreed to simply sign an enclosed copy and return it to me and keep one for their records.  My letter and agreement also included language that stated once I received it they would have payment within 14 days.  I have done it with 3 debts that I knew were mine and all 3 accepted and did delete within 3 days of receiving payment.  

What type of companies?  OC, CA, JDB  

Did you deal with any of the more well known companies?

TIA

• 1 month later...

Here is the update. No result.

I was given supervisor's phone number which I called multiple times. The person was never available, so I left messages that weren't returned.

I probably need to provide some background information, so that someone can provide advice on what I could do at this point?

What I have n collections is a medical bill for Physician's services. I ma a second year grad student who works 4-5 days a week, unfortunately for free, and unfortunately with no health benefits. After my hospital visit, my entire file was reviewed for financial assistance. While that application was being reviewed, I did not know that there is a separate application for Emergency Physicians. Once I found out that there is a separate process with them, I sent in a separate application (before the deadline) and asked for an extension just in case because the agency couldn't even see the newly uploaded files in the system yet. Now, my information was sent to CA BEFORE my file was reviewed ( and before the deadline), even though on the phone, representatives continued working with me. Once that info hit my credit report, the Emergency Physicians stated that they couldn't do anything (I guess they sold it to the CA). The CA, as I already said before, said that they would delete everything as soon as I paid them (without providing written proof, of course:) ). One more thing: since my information was sent before the file was reviewed for financial assistance, credit reports now say that I owe $336 while the CA received confirmation that after adjustments, the amount is $75. Not sure if that's a minor detail, but perhaps, I could somehow use it?

Can anyone suggest who or what other agencies I could get in touch with because the whole thing seemed like a clerical error to me? Thankfully, now that I am on my first break in a year, I have the time and energy to fight this.

Thank you!

Most of the time the medical debt is not sold, but assigned to collections. I would pay the bill to the ER physicians directly ( the 75.00) send a letter to the ca stating you paid it, and to cease and desist. ( if they truly sold the debt they will not be able to take payment, I would send payment, and wait for them to cash it). Then dispute it with the cra. If the debt is paid, the ca should not be able to verify, if the do, send in your proof of payment.

The amount is always going to show higher with the CA, as they want their piece of the pie. I won't deal with them, the OC only.