Dispute Credit Card Transaction

Blue Squad

I'm planning to dispute an airline fee with the credit card company.  Last minute at the airport, the airline charged me an extra fee, and would not issue me a boarding pass, unless I paid.

If I dispute this with the credit card company, and the credit card company sides in my favor and does a charge back against the merchant, can the airline still collect the amount from me?

In other words, can the airline still turn over the amount to a collection agency, report this against my credit report, or take me to court?

On the other hand, is the decision of the credit card company final?  Thanks.

The airline could go after you but now you are not in a position that they can hold over you until you do pay (at least not until you fly with them again). This means they would have to go to court and prove that the fee was reasonable and known in advance. You could argue that you were coerced into paying the first time.

Also, the fee is so small it might not be worth arguing about.

I can almost guarantee that the CC company will side with the airline.

I understand that it seems like extortion (this is why I fly Southwest whenever possible - no surprise fees), but the airl;ine will tell the CCC you agreed to the fee, paid it, and used their services.

How I see it, I have nothing to lose by disputing this with the credit card company (CCC).

If the CCC sides with the airline, then obviously I would pay the credit card charge.

If the CCC sides in my favor, then the airline may drop the matter.  In theory, the airline could still take me to court, but it would probably not be worth litigating such a small fee.

My biggest concern is if the airlines does something really unscrupulous, and sells the amount to a junk debt buyer (JDB), without my knowledge.  Then the JDB inserts the adverse item in my credit report.

By the way, the fee itself is between $50 to $100.  Do you think it is worth disputing with the CCC?

Did the airline identify what this fee was for?

I also wonder what would have happened had you decided not to pay the fee and they deny you a boarding pass, with regard to what you had paid prior ... would you be able to get all of that back?

The airlines can do this because almost everyone will pay and they know that.  But what was it for or did they just say "a fee"?

You may be surprised.  The credit card company could side with you.  It's worth a shot.  

If I prevail with the CCC dispute, the airline may choose not to litigate, as it is not worthwhile.

But my nightmare sceario is, instead of litigating, the airline simply sells the amount to a JDB.  Then I would have to hassle with the JDB and the CRAs in removing the adverse item on my credit report, for the next 12 months.

However, even if it is theoritically possible, how plausible is the above scenario?

Maybe I'm just too paranoid about this, but after reading the stories on this forum, I doubt fighing over something less than $100 is worthwhile. 

If this was a much larger amount, then yes, I would fight tooth and nail and take the chance.

Did the airline identify what this fee was for?

This was an excess baggage fee, on a connecting flight, with an international airline.  International travel often has a higher baggage allowance than domestic travel.  I traveled the exact same route every year, and the airline never charged me for this.

It looks like the airline changed its policy, without notifying me.  I even called the airline a day before the flight, and the customer rep told me that I would not be charged any additional baggage fees.

I also wonder what would have happened had you decided not to pay the fee and they deny you a boarding pass, with regard to what you had paid prior ... would you be able to get all of that back?

I do not know.  I needed to fly out that day.  Either I pay the fee, or I can't board the plane.  It is blackmail?  Probably.