Denied charges and have a continuation. Next steps?

In my last post

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/topic/322114-pretrailmediation-notice-from-portfolio-recovery-associates-what-to-do/

I was talking about what to do before my pretrial. I got served a summons a week before my pretrial. I did not fell prepared so I deny charges and have a mediation in 45 days from today

I'm ready to take the next steps on what to do before my mediation. If I wanted to contest this debt. Would getting a lawyer be advised? Or go at it myself? But,

Have no clue where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I left any info out please let me know

I recommend keeping everything in a single thread for continuity purposes. I appreciate though that you linked the old thread.

It's not clear to me, have you filed an answer to the complaint yet? That's the first thing you need to do. 

As far as getting representation, that's entirely up to you. I don't personally recommend that option, most  lawyers won't want to fight the case and will just try to get you to settle. There are a number of good Florida posters on here that can help you if you want to fight this yourself. FSUgirl's thread is probably the most detailed as far as case law and procedure.  

• Like 1

I haven't filed an answer yet. When the judge asked if accept or debt the complaint I asked for a continuation and he stated that he will post my answer as deny and set my mediation for 45 days from now.

I hope that was of assistance. Thank you so much.

I haven't filed an answer yet. When the judge asked if accept or debt the complaint I asked for a continuation and he stated that he will post my answer as deny and set my mediation for 45 days from now.

I hope that was of assistance. Thank you so much.

I guess you're good to go then. Next step is discovery, assuming that you're allowed to.

I appricate any help. First time at this. And seems a bit overwhelming.

I would suggest purchasing Sheila Munoz's book (Florida JDB Lawsuit winner)  "DEFENDING A LAWSUIT BY A JUNK DEBT BUYER" How a Florida Mon beat Asset Acceptance. You can get it from Amazon. It has all the necessary steps, case law, and the forms and templates necessary to prevail in your case. Keep it simple and make things easy for yourself. Just don't stress and don't be late with anything. It's a paperwork intensive exercise requiring you to be proactive in a number of easy to accomplish details. Just ask for help on the particulars. 

http://www.amazon.com/Defending-Lawsuit-Buyer-Collection-Agency-ebook/dp/B006YXEMKQ

HP