Cable Bill - PFD?, Attempt to pay OC?

dollerprod

Hi! I have a cable bill on my report I need to do something about (I am trying to apply for a mortgage). The CA is CreditMgmt out of CarroltonTX. Is this the same CMI I have seen referred to around here?

Details
Amount: $375

Date: 07/10

My states SOL is 5 yrs.

Help.

Is there a strategy that is more useful for cable bills/ CMI accounts? I vacated a home where the cable was in my name and like an idiot didn't think to turn it off and ex-roomates enjoyed it until it shut off. Do I bother with DV letter?

PFD? How do I guarantee that they will remove it after I pay? Is there a letter that they will send me which I can present to CRA's holding them to it? 

My biggest fear is that it will be marked as a "paid" account, but will be re-aged! I want to make sure it goes bye-by and not recycled.  

I have heard that (instead of PFD with CA) people have just somehow tried to slide the payment to the OC (cable co) and after you have a receipt, they must delete? ?? ???

Please help with a strategy. IDC, I'll pay it and then beat up my "friends" if I ever see them for this. But I just need it gone. It is the only derogatory on my file within SOL, therefore the one I need help with. You are the best. 

You can try to delete the address that is associated with it on yor credit report. It does help if you put on a fraud alert on your account before you send in your dispute and then delete by saying that it was not mine

hoping you still dont live at that address but you can still try

OR

you can ask not the collection company but the creditor to do a pay to Delete on the account but you need to get that in wrighting before you make any payments

Hi, Thank you and sorry for the delayed reply... 

I've already had the old addresses deleted, and this address I could not get off. They considered it valid (CRA's). Also already had a fraud alert placed on my account and sent a DV, no joy. I think I will try for PFD with the OC (cable co.). I wonder though if I can actually persuade the rep to draw up something in writing that they will delete after I pay it. 

Any tips on going about that??

Hi, Thank you and sorry for the delayed reply... 

I've already had the old addresses deleted, and this address I could not get off. They considered it valid (CRA's). Also already had a fraud alert placed on my account and sent a DV, no joy. I think I will try for PFD with the OC (cable co.). I wonder though if I can actually persuade the rep to draw up something in writing that they will delete after I pay it. 

Any tips on going about that??

Credit Management works for the cable co and you will be referred to them.  The good news is they will do a PFD and very quickly.  I did one for them on an old cable bill.  The amount owed was $150 and I offered $100 to settle it PFD and they accepted.  When I sent my letter it included the offer and the settlement agreement which stated any amount not paid was disputed, they would not sell it, and once accepted I would pay within 14 business days and they would delete immediately.  I enclosed two signed copies of the settlement and stated when I received the copy back with their signature (one they could keep for their records) I would pay within 14 days etc.  

They accepted, I paid, and they deleted.  It was VERY easy and took less than 30 days.

Credit Management works for the cable co and you will be referred to them.  The good news is they will do a PFD and very quickly.  I did one for them on an old cable bill.  The amount owed was $150 and I offered $100 to settle it PFD and they accepted.  When I sent my letter it included the offer and the settlement agreement which stated any amount not paid was disputed, they would not sell it, and once accepted I would pay within 14 business days and they would delete immediately.  I enclosed two signed copies of the settlement and stated when I received the copy back with their signature (one they could keep for their records) I would pay within 14 days etc.  

They accepted, I paid, and they deleted.  It was VERY easy and took less than 30 days.

Excellent!

• Like 1

Hi- thanks!

Well I didn't see your reply and I wound up going for it and called the cable co. directly. They did not refer me to the CA, like you said and I anticipated, but rather she said I could pay them directly. But, I still don't know whether this is the right course of action for me or not because...

I asked if they would recall it from collections, but she was no help. She was actually pretty bitchy. So I asked her what would happen once I paid. She said "the collection company would be notified." And when I pressed a little more about whether it would be removed or "updated as satisfied" she had no answer. Basically that she did not know, but said she assumed it would not be removed, but rather reflect being paid. (that would "re-cycle" this collection and would appear on my report for another 7 yrs right?, even though it would say "satisfied"?)

So, even though she doesn't know, if I pay them directly, can I force the CA's hand to remove it? With certainty? 

Honestly, if it's not gonna disappear, I just as soon wouldn't pay it at all...

And..... now you have me thinking.. it might just in fact (gasp) be easier to call the CA because I could get (maybe) a real PFD letter and (maybe) even settle for less than the actual amount... idk. Your help is very appreciated!

@dollerprod

So, even though she doesn't know, if I pay them directly, can I force the CA's hand to remove it? With certainty? 

And..... now you have me thinking.. it might just in fact (gasp) be easier to call the CA because I could get (maybe) a real PFD letter and (maybe) even settle for less than the actual amount... idk. Your help is very appreciated!

You cannot force anyone's hand in this.  Why don't you pay the collection agency like Clydesmom did?  And get it removed. 

You cannot force anyone's hand in this.  Why don't you pay the collection agency like Clydesmom did?  And get it removed. 

I will take her advice. I'm just going by what I am reading and trying to learn. I will contact them and request a PFD. See how that goes... If anyone has any further advice about proceeding with that, I am all ears.

And thank you for your help.

There is no way to force a creditor to remove a valid trade line.  While some will do a PFD, some have a hard line policy of never doing it.  Credit Management will do a PFD.  I got mine by mailing a settlement agreement with the offer letter.  The offer was for ~60% and the delete.  If they accepted and returned to me a signed copy of the enclosed settlement agreement I would pay within 14 days.  They signed and returned.  I paid by money order and the trade line was off within a week of their receiving it.  

You are making this WAY harder than it needs to be.

There is no way to force a creditor to remove a valid trade line.  While some will do a PFD, some have a hard line policy of never doing it.  Credit Management will do a PFD.  I got mine by mailing a settlement agreement with the offer letter.  The offer was for ~60% and the delete.  If they accepted and returned to me a signed copy of the enclosed settlement agreement I would pay within 14 days.  They signed and returned.  I paid by money order and the trade line was off within a week of their receiving it.  

You are making this WAY harder than it needs to be.

Good point!

i read somewhere that there is a big risk to sending a CA a document with your signature on it - is there any reason you couldn't just send then the unsigned agreement and have them sign and return?

also - can you post a copy of the text in your agreement?   i'm interested to see what settlement language would actually stand up - PFD's are basically enforced through good old-fashioned contract law.