JT7

5 Collection Agencies on Credit Report, Dept Validation?

I have 5 Collection Agencies on my credit report.  Should I just send out a dept validation letter to each one to get things rolling?

NO.  First you need to determine what the SOL is on each of the accounts because if they can still sue you then all you may do is wake a sleeping grizzly bear and encourage them to proceed to court before the SOL expires.

• Like 1

@JT7

Debt validation is a provision in the FDCPA.  It's only valid if you send a DV request within 30 days of a debt collector's first dunning letter to you.  If you send DVs based upon finding CA entries on your CR, they don't have to respond.

As Clydesmom said, you need to determine if the accounts are still within the SOL for collection.  If they're outside the SOL, you would dispute an account with the credit reporting agency.

Thanks, I'll start organizing everything.

I have 5 Collection Agencies on my credit report.  Should I just send out a dept validation letter to each one to get things rolling?

The question is why are you wanting to do this. 

They may be sending letters and calling you, but they have no clue if you are even the right person. As stated above doing this before the SOL has expired will just verify your location and tell them you are alive. Contacting five JDBs will probably at least trigger one or two lawsuits. All you are is a number in a database to them right now.