Debt collectors must be registered with state ?

heartglass

I have a debt collector /law firm suing me for discover , another debt collector already gave up on this one and sent it back to discover. Next thing I know a law firm from Washington state is now doing the collection and filed a complaint. Of coarse I,m in Oregon so it is Court ordered arbitration ,but here's the thing they are supposed to be registered here as a debt collector, rule ORS 697 005 . Can some please translate this as I find the whole thing confusing, because it says that an out-of-town attorney doesn't have to be registered if they're representing a client but on on their website they claim to be debt collectors as well as attorneys.....

Thanks am going crazy here in oregon

This is a state specific topic, so you need to speak with someone familiar with the Oregon courts.

In many states debt collectors attempt to collect and sue even when its against the law. If this is the case unless you challenge them on it they will run over you. Its not a bad idea to at least consult with an attorney to see if they are violating your rights under the FDCPA or your state's laws. Many will give you a free consultation and you may have a counter claim against them.

You might want to add Oregon in the title of this thread in order to get the attention of Oregon posters.