tropicaljo

We won a $20+K judgment...but :(

Okay, scratch the attorney mentioned in my first post. The attorney is just their Colorado registered agent, as well as their attorney of record according to his own website.  Don't know how going to the Bar would do any good other than there was never any response to any of the court documents that required responses or to any of the numerous letters he received from the attorney's who handled our end demanding payment of the judgment from his clients. Did he take it upon himself to not respond, or did his clients tell him to ignore us and eventually we'd go away? 

Our attorneys never filed for an Order of Contempt, claimed they couldn't discover any assets, never attempted to discover banking info, never requested a debtor's review, never sought to levy or seize property.  When a bond was discovered, and our claim against that bond was denied because their client supposedly had not been presented with an account for collection, our attorneys didn't argue, they just said, "Okay, we're done."

Seems there was a lot they could have done, but chose not to. BUT, since our attorneys have waived the "all avenues exhausted" flag, we finally have leeway to take some actions on our own.  

As I said, they ignored all efforts to communicate.  They ignored all court related documents that they were served.  The judgment was incorporated into their state, they ignored that too.  Our local attorney hired an attorney in their state to continue collection efforts. Both attorneys have been extremely lax and difficult to communicate with regarding what they were doing. I'm under the impression that the out of state attorney did locate a bond and that the bond company was investigating our "claim", but was never informed of the outcome of that, either.  The local attorney is sending us the complete documentation in the event that we want to continue to try to collect, so I'll know more about what has been done and what needs to be done when that comes in.

@racecar, thanks for that link... DH and I will be discussing that option once we get the case documents from our local attorney.

They are debt collectors you can lien all their court judgments. It is a form you can attach their judgments statewide. That means you can get all their money. Just saying. once you attach the liens the court will give the judgments and garnishments to you. Also put an entry on dunn and brad street and affect their ability to buy accounts. Do unto others and all.

• Like 1

Actually, this is kinda what we've been considering... showing up with a sheriff and a moving truck with the proper documents...

• Like 3

@tropicaljo

If you do that, please take pictures and post them.  :-)

A video would be even better. If your not shy contact a consumer reporter from a local TV station.

Okay, scratch the attorney mentioned in my first post. The attorney is just their Colorado registered agent, as well as their attorney of record according to his own website.  Don't know how going to the Bar would do any good other than there was never any response to any of the court documents that required responses or to any of the numerous letters he received from the attorney's who handled our end demanding payment of the judgment from his clients. Did he take it upon himself to not respond, or did his clients tell him to ignore us and eventually we'd go away? 

Our attorneys never filed for an Order of Contempt, claimed they couldn't discover any assets, never attempted to discover banking info, never requested a debtor's review, never sought to levy or seize property.  When a bond was discovered, and our claim against that bond was denied because their client supposedly had not been presented with an account for collection, our attorneys didn't argue, they just said, "Okay, we're done."

Seems there was a lot they could have done, but chose not to. BUT, since our attorneys have waived the "all avenues exhausted" flag, we finally have leeway to take some actions on our own.  

This was based on this in the first post,

Apparently, the owners of the company are attorneys who operate under several business names

So the claims is not against an attorney who owns the businesses?  Is it just against a JDB?  If it is an attorney that owns a JDB agency, you could still use a bar complaint to get them to pay their judgment.

No, they are not "just a JDB".  They do a pretty brisk business as debt collectors under several dba's.  From what I've been able to turn up in just the past couple of days is that the owner and CEO of the company is apparently quite wealthy and well respected in the ARM industry.

The first question I have is, how are they accepting payments and paying their bills. There is money being transferred to the company somewhere along the way, even if through the a bank clearinghouse to do credit card payments. Sounds like your attorneys did not press hard enough and now you need to. Do your own financial deposition and ask the tough questions yourself. They have to have a bank somewhere unless they are getting payments through Western Union. Even that is attachable if you can figure out where they get the payments from.

Otherwise, they have an office someplace. Just show up with the sheriff, the papers, and a video camera.

• Like 1