Paid bill in full -- still went to collections. [Medical]

Hospital called me and said I needed to pay bill by end of day or it would go to collections. Gave them by credit card, got the confirmation #, payment showed up online and balance on account was $0.00.

Now I'm getting a collections agency letter for the account and the amount I owed.

Confirmed with hospital that account is zero and paid in full, but the subcontractors that do billing screwed something up and still sent to CA.

They can't figure out what to do about it.

Should I send a dispute letter to the CA with the payment confirmation information and statement from the hospital?

Or should I send a goodwill to discuss what happened?

I'm in Louisiana and new to all of this. Thank you.

I would send the dispute letter  asking for debt validation,with proof of payment.   If that doesn't solve it, you could send a cease and desist letter, then any attempts by them would be a FDCPA violation.

Should I use this one on this site? http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter9.shtml

It seems over the top to a lay person like me, but I'm not familiar with legal stuff...haha.

Should I send a dispute letter to the CA with the payment confirmation information and statement from the hospital?

Yes.  

First thing Monday call the Hospital billing department and ask for the manager.  Be polite but VERY firm and state that you received a threatening phone call that if you didn't pay by the end of the day it would go to collections and you PAID immediately  Then tell the manager  they have until the end of today to get this straightened out and ensure it isn't on your credit report or you will be filing formal complaints with the CEO, CFPB, and licensing agencies for billing fraud.  

DO NOT speak to a front line customer service rep drone.  ONLY the manager.  After all they gave you to close of business to pay it is only reasonable they fix their error by close of business.  This is THEIR problem to fix not yours because they caused it.

If they do not fix it by the end of the day you send a letter to the President of the hospital (those DO get attention VERY quickly) and a formal complaint of billing fraud to the agency that licenses hospitals in your state.

Then check your credit reports and see if they reported it.  If they did dispute it off as paid to original creditor and file a complaint with the CFPB.

I would send the dispute letter  asking for debt validation,with proof of payment.   If that doesn't solve it, you could send a cease and desist letter, then any attempts by them would be a FDCPA violation.

WORST thing they can do.  The OP has proof of payment.  Waste of time asking them to validate when they already have notice it isn't valid.  The cease and desist letter means they can only contact one more time to state what action they are taking in the mean time they may continue to report it which the OP does NOT want to happen.

Should I use this one on this site? http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter9.shtml

It seems over the top to a lay person like me, but I'm not familiar with legal stuff...haha.

DO NOT waste time with debt validation.  There is NO reason to validate this because you KNOW you paid.  This is THEIR problem to fix and the suggestion shelieh made will take WAY too long and could end up affecting your credit.  

• Like 1

Yes.  

DO NOT waste time with debt validation.  There is NO reason to validate this because you KNOW you paid.  This is THEIR problem to fix and the suggestion shelieh made will take WAY too long and could end up affecting your credit.  

So are you saying to send the letter or not?

well @Clydesmom we all have our opinions, that is what makes this place so great. I deal with mad people and their hospital bills almost on a daily basis in my position.  He can and should contact the manager of billing, then move up to the patient rep.  Writing the CEO will only get forwarded back down to the billing.  I say ask for validation so he can make sure number one it is the same bill he paid, and number 2 the amount is correct.  My personal opinion is to always validate when dealing with a Collection agency, they can and should be checking back with the billing dept. becasue he is sending the proof of payment.  

So are you saying to send the letter or not?

DO NOT send that letter it is a waste of time.  I promise you they WILL ignore it.

I have been in the in medical field for 27 years and the one thing I know how to deal with is a hospital billing department.  The problem most likely is up to now you have been talking to some front line CSR who couldn't find their own butt with a flashlight, a map, and a 3 day head start.

You need to speak to someone with some power to act.  Manager, VP or HIGHER in the hospital.  Watch how quickly they move to resolve it once you show that you won't roll over and play dead on this.  Right now they are hoping you just go away.  

• Like 1

Writing the CEO will only get forwarded back down to the billing.  

Maybe at your facility.  At mine if the CEO finds out that a patient had to write to him to resolve something a manager or their staff failed to take care of you can be assured your job is in jeopardy.  When a patient makes a complaint to a VP or CEO at our facility not only does the manager and relevant staff have to answer for it and resolve it but the also have to write a formal letter of apology to the patient and ensure that it is completely resolved to their satisfaction.  

The CA hasn't done anything wrong.  They were handed an account to collect on.  The HOSPITAL billing department was 100% wrong for threatening the patient, taking the money, then turning it over to collections anyway.

well @Clydesmom we all have our opinions, that is what makes this place so great. I deal with mad people and their hospital bills almost on a daily basis in my position.  He can and should contact the manager of billing, then move up to the patient rep.  Writing the CEO will only get forwarded back down to the billing.  I say ask for validation so he can make sure number one it is the same bill he paid, and number 2 the amount is correct.  My personal opinion is to always validate when dealing with a Collection agency, they can and should be checking back with the billing dept. becasue he is sending the proof of payment.  

The amount due and account number match. It's the correct debt. If I hadn't paid it would be a valid collections letter.

The amount due and account number match. It's the correct debt. If I hadn't paid it would be a valid collections letter.

Look at it this way.  It is now 8:00 pm on Friday.  That letter will NOT reach the CA before Monday even if you did mail it.  However, the billing department WILL be open on Monday at 8:00 am.  I would call at 8:00 am and if you don't get satisfaction by 5 pm then you can mail the DV letter to the CA first thing Tuesday when you mail the letters to the CEO, CFPB,and every other agency you can think of.

• Like 2

Look at it this way.  It is now 8:00 pm on Saturday.  That letter will NOT reach the CA before Monday even if you did mail it.  However, the billing department WILL be open on Monday at 8:00 am.  I would call at 8:00 am and if you don't get satisfaction by 5 pm then you can mail the DV letter to the CA first thing Tuesday when you mail the letters to the CEO, CFPB,and every other agency you can think of.

Ok, I'll do this. Also, I'm assuming calling the CA would be a bad move, right?

Ok, I'll do this. Also, I'm assuming calling the CA would be a bad move, right?

At this point, yes.  They will simply assume you are like everyone else trying to avoid paying.  My experience is that this is the hospital's problem not the CAs to fix.  Not yours either.  You paid the hospital should clear this up.  

I had something similar happen 25 years ago before debt collection laws had any teeth if they even existed.  All over $35.  I paid and they turned me over to collections.  I called and a CSR tried to blow me off so  I asked for a manager over their multiple protests that they could help me.  I politely asked the manager why I bothered to pay the bill if they were going to send it to collections.  She made an excuse that the account hadn't "updated" with the payment before they turned it over to collections.  I disputed that with her with the fact that it was manually done therefore no zero balance account should go to collections.  It was off my CR in an hour and I got a letter of apology.

My gut is when you get a Manager they will fix this immediately.  If they don't go to the next step IMMEDIATELY so they know you are serious.

• Like 1