Who Owns My Debt!?

pr4213

I am finally down to just 2 bad accounts with balances. Both are originally USBank, one a credit card and one a checking account overdrawn, both charged off in 2010.

For the Credit Card:

CFS2 shows up on all 3 reports. USBank TL on TU deleted w/ a dispute, stayed on EQ as "transfered/sold" and all the details erased. Putting this one on hold until I figure out what can be done about CFS2's dispute response (re: another thread).

For the Checking Account:

American Accounts & Advisers (sic) shows up on EQ. Confirmed after dispute w/ EQ. US Bank on ChexSystems.

I really want that checking account off chexsystems. So I called USBank last month and got transfered around to their DDA recovery dept. She said they are the owners of the account, and I owe $x. I asked about PFD and to pull it back from collections, she says she has to transfer me to dda fraud dept because they were the ones who closed it. Says no PFD for the Chex listings. I asked about pulling it back from collections - she says it isn't in collections, that they own it and collect internally. I mentioned American Accounts & Advisers and she said forcefully that the account is ONLY with her dept. at US Bank and that I'd have to take it up with the CRAs and AAA to get AAA off my report. Another intersting bit is that the first lady I spoke to first told me the balance on my CO credit card, and also firmly said it is with them and not CFS2.

What do I send these 3 companies to see who really owns my debt? A DV? A 623 letter? A general letter asking the question? I don't want to waste time dealing with the wrong company. I've already sent a PFD offer to US Bank for the checking account, since they'll be the only ones who can remove the Chex listings.

Who owns the debt may not be relevent in terms of fixin the issue. Chexsystem is subject ot the same laws as are the credit bureaus.

Send a dispute letter to Chexsystems and dispute the item as "not yours". If the bank is saying it's not their issue or account any longer they probably won't confirm to Chexsystems.

Only the bank could have reported you to them so if they sold the debt or account they may not respond thus your problem will be solved.

May The Schwartz Be With You !!

@

For the Credit Card:

CFS2 shows up on all 3 reports. USBank TL on TU deleted w/ a dispute, stayed on EQ as "transfered/sold" and all the details erased. Putting this one on hold until I figure out what can be done about CFS2's dispute response (re: another thread).

If US Bank's entry shows that the account was "transferred/sold", US Bank no longer owns it.

Sounds like USBank owns the account to me.  You can't do a PFD on original creditors.  But you can pull it back from collections.  

For the checking account debt? I sure hope I can tempt them into deleting their entries out of chexsystems. They won't see a penny from me otherwise.

@

If US Bank's entry shows that the account was "transferred/sold", US Bank no longer owns it.

That was what I thought, but US Bank insisted they own both accounts. I would prefer if CFS2 owns the accounts because they are just walking themselves off a cliff. Maybe I'll send out a 623 to US Bank disputing their equifax tradeline and see how they respond.

That was what I thought, but US Bank insisted they own both accounts. I would prefer if CFS2 owns the accounts because they are just walking themselves off a cliff. Maybe I'll send out a 623 to US Bank disputing their equifax tradeline and see how they respond.

Dispute with the credit bureaus first.