Goodgrl124

Help!Sent DV and Now Account On Credit Report Shows Charged Off

A verizon account was opened in my name about 3 years ago. I never signed up for this account, there is fraud going on. In 2013, I got a collections letter and decided to respond to it, the only problem is that i sent a DV 2 months after.

30 days after I sent the DV asking for a copy of the contract with my signature on it, they did not respond but instead updated my Credit Report to "charged off".

This debt is absolutely not mine, I was under 18 when it was opened in my name. I just want to know what can I do next? I want this off my report.

Please help

A verizon account was opened in my name about 3 years ago. I never signed up for this account, there is fraud going on. In 2013, I got a collections letter and decided to respond to it, the only problem is that i sent a DV 2 months after.

30 days after I sent the DV asking for a copy of the contract with my signature on it, they did not respond but instead updated my Credit Report to "charged off".

This debt is absolutely not mine, I was under 18 when it was opened in my name. I just want to know what can I do next? I want this off my report.

Please help

DV does not tell them that the account is not yours.  It simply asks them to validate there IS a debt.  The threshold is so low you can trip over it.

"Charged off" is simply an accounting term that creditors use to show that the account is bad debt and no longer considered collectible or active.  It has NOTHING to so with the validity of the debt.  

Instead of doing the DV you should file a FACTA complaint of ID theft.  You also need to file a report with the police on this as well.  Those complaints get IMMEDIATE attention from the credit agencies vs. validation letters.  The fastest way to get this off your report is to file the proper reports of ID theft ASAP.

@Goodgrl124

This is clearly a case of identity theft.  To delete these fraudulent items off your credit reports, please follow the steps in the thread linked below, as closely as possible, and read the whole thread:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/topic/322048-taking-on-bank-of-america/

In general, you will need to do the following initial steps:

1.  Generate a FTC Identity Theft Affidavit with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

2.  File a police report with your local police station, and get a copy of the same police report.

This is a multi-step process, and it has to be done in the proper order.

Please update us once you have done the above.